HybridZ

L26, N42 head, would it be worth it. My engine build need advice.

Ok so i have an N42 head from a L28 Nissan Patrol in Oz.

Got it as a freebe, looks good, hardened seats and so forth.

I have a complete L26 with an E88 head, but i was hoping to use the N42 head as it has bigger valves and so forth.

NOW i want to run about 9.5:1 or 10:1 CR or there abouts.

I am hoping to do the following, Run my l26 block with eyebrows to suit the N42 head. Ported N42 head with a stage 1 or 2 cam. 240Z flat top pistons to bump the compression up.

In Australia we run a minim 93 octane fuel i will run on a min 95 or 98 octane fuel.

I have read a dozen posts about issues with detonation of the N42 head as it doesn't have quench and so forth.

As i am new to this, can someone point out the issues with WHY an N42 head can/can not be used sucsefully on the L26 block.

OR would it be simpler to run the E88 head and flat top pistons?

If anyone has some advice and any good articles/books i should read please offer as much advise as you can

Thansk

Well first we need your goals........ then we can give some help. All L series heads are interchangeable it just depends on what you wan your end product to be. What makes you want to run a 9.5/10.5 CR?? It will take some work for you not to have detonation. If you are just looking for power why not a small turbo? If you want to keep it NA then head work be a must to get high power.

You wont see much difference between the E88 and the N47 (a very small CR increase). With flat top pistons you can hit around 9.5 with either head.

Check out the head thread. here. Do a little more searching and set some goals.

Good reading. And Happy searching!

hi mate

The car is a sunday driver only, my toy car will get something a little more substantial.

I am after approx 200hp at the crank or so. Well i figured a bigger valved head will flow better hence breathe easier and so forth so it would be better to put the better flowing head on the engine.

The CR of 9.5 doe snot seam very high tome at all.

I will do some more searching and thanks for the reply,

BTW i love this site

• 10 years later...

Hey, so ive been asked to help out with a project on a 72 260z with L26 block and N42 head and it has triple weber 40 dcoe. He wants to goto a efi setup.... i feel like this would be too much of a hassle and was just wondering about how much work would need to be done for it.