HybridZ

dry ice? say what?

jumpman2334

Oh, one of the mini-dewars. Praxair in Santa Ana is where you get the mice-feed CO2 as well. I guess LN2 would have worked.

When I think dewar, I think of the ones you could use to make into a pig roaster. We used those for shrinking liners into cylinders for the big Cooper GMVs (2 foot bore, 3 foot stroke, some of the compressor liners were even bigger!) Making a cooling jacket for the liner shrinkage was the most economical way, an open cylinder of LN2 that big for immersing a liner would not only displace the O2 and kill everybody in the shop... It'd make it damned cold as well!

CO2 and LN2 are invisible killers, they both displace the O2. Please use this outside and be careful. Do not get in a hurry and jump in the car before it is properly ventilated.

We do not want to loose any Hybrid members due to a stupid mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't black dragon sell aftermarket selfadhesive sound deadening foil looking stuff??? After you remove the OEM stuff clean up the rust and paint..wouldn't that stuff work the same as the oem gooey..rubbery stuff?

Sorry Root canal..major pain good drugs..muddled mental capabilities

Edited by powershotnt
high on pain pills

Anyone feel like helping a fellow Z member out? I got a garage to do it in, just need some extra hands to get it done faster. I am sending her in for paint soon, and want to get some other things taken care of before I do that. This is one of them. (I also want to do the underbody coating, but I'm pretty sure no-one wants to help with that... hell, I don't even want to do that!! haha)

my experience doing this with dry ice ... i used to get 40 to 50 pounds free of my work .... a couple years ago when i used to work in a health food store.. btw if u have a friend that works in a grocery store he can probly get u free dry ice ... i mean its only used to keep the frozen items frozen then they are discarded. but if u smash the dry ice with a hammer and place the flakes on top of the dead... stuff it will come out fast ...

i guess is cause as u smash the dry ice it starts to evaporate and gets a hell lot colder this way. doing it this way it only took a few seconds on each big section on my 280zx and i didnt even had to bang it forom the bottom just at the top and it came out clean. hope this will help some of you.

of course dry ice. i used that when stripping out my 7 to make it my drift car. its a well known process and they started doing cryo-blasting too. they use dry ice in place of a media, its a beautiful thing. look it up on youtube or something.

Lloyd

whoa whoa, s30 drift car? thats what i wanted to do with my mine. how do they slide?

whoa whoa, s30 drift car? thats what i wanted to do with my mine. how do they slide?

There are a few threads about people attempting drift. I guess at Drift Indy in speed drome they had at least 1 that was a reg. at the event? The biggest issue is steering lock. Also the setup of suspension needs to be highly modded for adjustment for best results. In the end, with enough practice I think you could manage to get one to slide ok. Buy me a KAAZ 2way LSD for a S13 open diff replacement and I will tell you. =P oh and on topic, yes, dry ice is great. Park your car outside in freezing weather seems to work good to. Worked on a few cars. I will let you know when I decide to start stripping mine. I have got 2 cars to just have the chunks of deadening in the rear come off as one solid piece, no dry ice, no torch, cold outside, grabbed it with my hand and pulled, it came up as one piece. At least mostly, a few small pieces broke off.