HybridZ

New Here.. I dont have a Z but a 240sx..

Guest Anonymous

Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

That car is screaming for an SR20DET. Easier mod, lighter weight, power a plenty. If not going that route I would try and find a Chevy due to the cheap parts and the fact that they are everywhere.

I've also got a '92 SX, and when the K24DE finally bites it, I'm going to try the SBF conversion I think. I'm obviously partial to Fords, but in the SX case, more so. The reason is that the SX will not have the weight distribution advantage that the Z has, and therefore, the lightest possible V8 would be what I would go for, especially considering even with the SBF, you will probably gain a 100lbs on the front end (OVER the front tires, not behind as in the Z). With the Chevy, you can add another 75-100lbs on top of that.

Guest Anonymous

I've got a good steady flow of money coming in right now, and I still live at home with my parents. So I decided I am going to start my project before I get ready to buy my home. I am only 19 but I am very serious about taking on this project. If anyone wants to get involved that would be great! I live in the SF Bay area in California. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by AlsoRanFPrepared:

That car is screaming for an SR20DET. Easier mod, lighter weight, power a plenty. If not going that route I would try and find a Chevy due to the cheap parts and the fact that they are everywhere.

I was originaly going to build a KA-T motor but decided I wanted to do this project. The only problem I have with building an SR20DET is that if I need something for it, it wont be readily availible. I just can't wait to see people's reaction to someone starting a 240sx and hearing the roar of a V8...

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I'm new here.. I dont have a Z car but I do have a 1989 240sx Fastback.. I was wondering if you guys could help me out! I want to put either a Chevy 350 or a Ford 302 in it.. What do you guys suggest? I'm really really interested in starting my project soon so any info would be greatly appreciated!!

HybridSX comments:

The 240sx has a wide engine compartment; unfortunately it forces the engine to sit centered on front wheels, or worse if the engine is longer, making engine weight a very big consideration. (My original choice of a Q45 engine would just about bolt in, but it would likely weigh quite a bit more than the stock KA24DE dressed weight of ~340+ lbs.) The iron block twin cam V6 Nissans also are quite a bit heavier than the stock engine.

There is another Ford V8 engine that fits well and is very light. It is the SHO Yamaha V8. Here is a link to teardown photos.

http://www.mercurycapri.com/projectrsx/v8sho/index.html

Warning it is a lot of work converting it from a fWD application, but can be done. I will post progress photos one of these days.

I'm with Terry. I think the 5.0 Mustang motor would be the ticket. Plus, since you live in Cali, it's easy to find wrecked post '89 Stangs in the JY's. You will need an '89 or later smog legal motor to register it.

BTW, I bought my Z in Brentwood. I live about 30 minutes from you.

Another BTW, for you non-Cali types, there are two Brentwoods bonk.gif in this silly state. O.J. lives in the other one.