HybridZ

Soft when pressed slow

Hello, I am not sure what is going on. When i press the brake pedal in my 280z slowly the pedel will just go to the floor with no braking power or fight. but when i stomp on the pedal the thing will stop on a dime or lock the wheels IE works well. I have bled the brakes countless times trying to make them better and they seem to get worse over time untill i bleed them again. any advice or info. Thanks.

I think that's the sign of a bad seal in the MC, as you press slowly there's time for the fluid to ooze around and through the seal on the shaft. but when you stomp on it theres no time for it all to get out. as to bleeding, fluid getting out also would suggest air can get in through the same place, hence the need to bleed reguarly.

If you have a parts car sitting around, swap the MCs over and see what happens?

Almost any leak in the system could give that sign (push fast is firmer than push slowly). However, if you are losing large amounts of fluid it could also be a bad wheel cylinder or caliper, or a loose bleeder screw. The pathognomonic test is to push quickly to get a firm pedal, then ease up a bit on the pedal pressure - - if the pedal now drops when you eased up; then your master cylinder is defective (and you may find some fluid in the dust seal on the master; or soaked into the paint and your carpeting under it).

DAW

Almost any leak in the system could give that sign (push fast is firmer than push slowly). However, if you are losing large amounts of fluid it could also be a bad wheel cylinder or caliper, or a loose bleeder screw. The pathognomonic test is to push quickly to get a firm pedal, then ease up a bit on the pedal pressure - - if the pedal now drops when you eased up; then your master cylinder is defective (and you may find some fluid in the dust seal on the master; or soaked into the paint and your carpeting under it).

DAW

I suppose you're right, I just assumed that there weren't any other obvious leaks as it sounds like he's been over the system a bunch of times.

the same basic rule applies. I recently had a soft pedal on my 510 and it turned out to be a bad rear wheel cylinder and NOT the master cylinder (of course I discovered this after I had already bought online the master cylinder rebuild kit).

DAW