HybridZ

Exotic tools

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone use a Mityvac one man brake fluid changer? I am ready to buy but concerned about quality, as I have been burned before on vacuum units that just dont work. A pro mechanic loaned me an air compressor type unit that created a vacuum with compressed air which worked pretty good but I have not been able to find on on open market or catalogues. Know where I can get one? as I know they work well.

Also, anyone out there using a "torque angle meter" I own one but dont use as most torque specs are in ft/lbs or metric only. I think Ford mechanics use for higher torqued plastic engine parts.

Steve

The mityvac system is very good quality. I've owned mine for about 5 yaers and use it on a regular basis (I am a professional auto tech) the torque angle meter you asked about is for torque to yeild bolts. These are VERY different than the bolts that are torqued to a ft lb. with these bolts you are told to tighten them to a spec.torque then turn them a given number of degrees these are used as head bolt on some engines(and other applications) and can only be used ONCE then are discarded. Keith

Guest Anonymous

I've used the Mityvac too, they work good. Like to try Russel Speedbleeders sometime though, I absolutely hate bleeding brakes.

Just to point out that Mityvac's work, they use em in hospitals with a big suction cup to deliver babies instead of using forceps these days. (bigger version of the Mityvac that you see in auto part stores but it was a real Mityvac pump.)

I also saw Mityvacs being sold in an *ahem* adult store once for "enlarging" use for the amazing price of like 70 bucks. (Versus what 15 or 20 at Walmart and so forth) Think I need to look into buying and repackaging em and selling em to that sort of establishment at 350% markup to finance my Z work. :D

Anyhow, here's a vacuum pump like you were looking for.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3952

Looks like they have a store in Ft Worth according to their webpage. Worst case you can mail order it.

I've got one and use it for A/C recharging and it seems to do pretty good, pulls about a 27inch vacuum according to my cheapo manifold gauge set, and for 13 bucks even if you decide you don't like it you're not out much. Don't let yourself get too carried away at Harbor Freight though, that place is somewhat addicitive if you're in to buying cheap tools.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, as mentioned I've seen that air compressor vacuum pump in harbor freight as well, thought about getting one sometime, but that'll have to wait now... :D

Another Tempe Z owner.. Cool!

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Harbour Frieght is definatly addictive. I saw that A/C evacuator at the store once and had a feeling it could be used for fluid changes but since it did not mention brake fluid on the package I did not buy it. I will probably wind up with a Mityvac.

Steve

Guest Anonymous

Been lurking here a while actually Lone hehe. Getting ready to start working on the old 240 after a 3 year hiatus though, and that L28T on the stand in the garage has just become a bit too tempting.

Soon as it cools off a bit more I'll be gettin on it. Poor thing hasn't driven in about 3 years. I'm sure the gas is nasty and I have some electrical stuff to troubleshoot. (Hoping it's just a blown fusible link like I suspect it is). Otherwise I think I'm just going to rip out all the wiring and redo the whole car's wiring harness with bigger guage wire and weatherpak type connectors where possible.

The poor beast also has either a blown head gasket or more likely a cracked head, on the L24 that's in it currently which stinks as I put about 600 bucks of machine work into that head and more still into a rebuild about a year before it became problematic, hope it's weldable or I'm gonna be mad and have to go the turbo route sooner, tough call I know. Probably have to do a stock ECU junkyard special for the time being, wife's not real keen on 1200 bucks for an SDS.

Where you at in Tempe anyway? Elliot/McClintock area myself.

Steve on the Vac Pump, I think you could use it to change fluids, but you'd have to tear open the cheesy sheetmetal casing and modify it to spit all the fluid out into some kind of container, otherwise it's just going to make a big mess. Then again for 13 bucks it makes a good platform to experiment with might have to try it myself in fact.

The MityVac's handy for other stuff too like checking VSV's, dashpots, distributor vacuum advance and all that too so it's not just limited to brake fluid use. Really for the 20 bucks they cost they're a pretty versatile tool. Not sure it'd be the most efficient way to do a full brake fluid change though, you're gonna be pumping that thing forever in that situation.

Originally posted by TempeZ:

I've used the Mityvac too, they work good. Like to try Russel Speedbleeders sometime though, I absolutely hate bleeding brakes.

I've used the Mityvac for bleeding brakes. It's a good tool, but it's still the wrong tool for that. I infinitely prefer the Russel Speedbleeders - they work so much better, there is NO comparison.

Guest Anonymous

TempeZ,

We're fairly close, not to far, for the next month or so I'll still be at roughly price and southern. Send me a mail offline at lone@cwnet.com and I'll send you a phone number if you want to look mine over sometime or have a question.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Sleeperz

Where can I find a russel speedbleeder? Again I have checked catalogues and have not seen anything. I want something that saves time, sounds like the Mityvac is not what I need. I have vacuum guage to do other vacuum work.

Steve

Originally posted by steve325:

Sleeperz

Where can I find a russel speedbleeder? Again I have checked catalogues and have not seen anything. I want something that saves time, sounds like the Mityvac is not what I need. I have vacuum guage to do other vacuum work.

Steve

I got mine at Summit Racing. It's not in the catalog, but only now is most of the ARP stuff being listed. Just call them and ask for a specific application - they will supply it for any.

Naw, don't call Summit, unless you're going to order other stuff too, to spread out the cost of shipping and handling.

I went to my local speed parts shop, and they ordered them for me for around a buck more than the catalog places. I had them the next day, with no shipping charges added! Plus, I'm getting valuable face time in with the parts store that I'll be frequenting for advice and small parts when I do my conversion.

And by the way, they work GREAT! I can bleed all 4 corners in the time it used to take to bleed a single wheel. And they do a better job, to boot!

Guest Anonymous

Vacuum Pumps:

There are several companies that have a professional air operated vaccum evaculators.

One is Vacula #0051 the oldest model out. Two

is Shark Industries basically identical to Vacula.

Mityvac #mit7200 has a 1.7 reservoir and brake

bleeder accessory pak. Air operation conversion

kit should be available soon.

Sunny

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't Summit usually have free shipping? I ordered some wheels for my truck thing from em and the shipping was free (good thing too 5 steel rims would have been about 50 bucks).

Yes, their shipping is free, but they charge a handling fee of $7.95 on each order. That's why if you plan to order stuff from Summit, plan your ordering to get as much as possible on one order, that way the $7.95 can be spread over all the parts.

So, it's the difference of $8 on a $20 order (almost 50% of the cost of the part), or $800 order which makes the handling fee only 1% of the cost of the part.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, sometimes they hit you with a 'oversized' charge. I bought some exhaust tube from them and had to pay a oversized shipping fee. I wasn't upset until it got here and it was three pieces of exhaust tube wrapped by plastic tape and a few of the ends of the tube were bent in. Overall I've been super happy with them, but on that occassion... cuss.gif

Regards,

Lone