HybridZ

A513 or A36?

Nismo280zEd

Ok so my specialty is in electronics but I'm pretty good with my hands.

Doing some fabrication on the back of the Z, swaping out the S30 suspension for S14 rearsubframe and drive train (axles and suspension, modified diff).

I need to modify the Z in some areas. I was looking at using square tubing, found two sites metalsdepot.com and onlinemetals.com one uses A513 steel the other uses A36 the difference in price being 16 bucks per 8' section.

I'm familiar with google and looked up the specs. A513 is stronger than the A36. Says the A36 is easier to work with than the A513. I don't work with metal on a daily basis so I wanted some help on this.

For structural support (redoing some of the frame for the suspension to mount. Which steel should I go with? I was looking 1.5" square tube 1/8" wall. I need to research some more but I'm pretty sure either steel is overkill for my application?

-Ed

I'm familiar with google and looked up the specs. A513 is stronger than the A36. Says the A36 is easier to work with than the A513. I don't work with metal on a daily basis so I wanted some help on this.

When they say one alloy is easier to work, I think that generally means bending and forming. You likely aren't doing any of that, just cutting and welding. That being the case, I'd go for the stronger.

You are correct, I will just be cutting and welding. (Wish I had a spiffy bender)

The rear subframe on the Z had the long supports that came down off the frame that allowed the lower control arms to bolt up and the diff/mustache bar I believe. Regardless, the new subframe mounts a little higher but there is still a 3" gap between the where I need to mount it and where the Z frame is on the back side.

The car needs to have a strong rear suspension as it will be seeing some sideways action. I was going to pretty much hard mount the subframe to the Z using metal bushings. so the square tubing is going to be used to lower the frame down to where the subframe needs to mount for a nice strong mounting location. The same tubing I purchase will be used to make some mounting points on the chassis for the multi link suspension arms.

-Ed