HybridZ

Hybrid of another flavor...

BRAAP

• Administrators

Shade tree Hybrid conversion…

Wife sent this video link to me today…

http://blip.tv/file/1203702

I give the idea an A for effort, but a D- in execution. With 30-50 HP tractor engines, you are only getting 30-50 HP worth of performance and in a full size truck, that is almost scary! (one looked like it had a Vortech style super charger!) :shock:

I do not doubt the MPG claims. I believe an efficient 30-50 HP gas engine in that same rig could deliver 30-40 MPG. 30-50 HP can only consume so much fuel in the first place, diesels are more efficient. Tractor Diesels aren't as efficient as auto diesels of comparable power, why not try one of those lower powered versions? Isuzu or Nissan four cylinder Diesel! Compromise comes in performance. Full size truck needs to be able to get out it’s own way, especially if you are using it as a full size truck to haul things, (that's why most people buy a full size truck, right?), out on the road where speeds above 50 MPH are required! 30-50, even 75-100 HP really isn't enough for a full size truck, especially if you want to use it as such!

A good friend years back and Diesel Nissan 720 2wd pickup. He loved it, claimed 40+ MPG, but it wouldn't get out of its own way!

I own a 3000 lb 32 HP John Deere diesel tractor, top speed is 35 MPH and it works to get to that speed. The last place I’d put that engine is under the hood of my wifes Suburban or my full size pickup. :lmao:

Edited by BRAAP

I've seen several pickups with Perkins deisels out of forklifts and even a couple with 4-53 Detroit deisels. A few years back there was a Mechanic at the local Cat dealer with a 250 hp Cat. I know it was rated at 250hp, but I have no idea how much torque it produced. However if he could have gotten a chain around it I think he could towed a battle ship.

• Administrators
I've seen several pickups with Perkins deisels out of forklifts and even a couple with 4-53 Detroit deisels. A few years back there was a Mechanic at the local Cat dealer with a 250 hp Cat. I know it was rated at 250hp, but I have no idea how much torque it produced. However if he could have gotten a chain around it I think he could towed a battle ship.

A 250 HP diesel makes more sense in my mind. Like you said, enough torque to tow a battle ship, would be a great work truck. :2thumbs:

I can't stop thinking about that second truck in the video with the Vortech style supercharger... That was the 4 cylinder right? I thought he said it got like 10 or so less MPG the 3 cylinder truck he drove off in?... Curious as to how much power?...

The one he drove off in did sound cool in a farmer sorta way. :wink:

I guess it's cool in it's own way, but at some point you need to weigh realistic driveability against fuel consumption. It may be ok empty around town, but loaded (it is a WORK truck) or at highway speeds, maybe not so good. I like the 250HP idea, the torque something like that puts out must be amazing.

All that said, my only consideration for fuel when building my engine is that it would need it to run... how much? Who cares!

• Administrators
I know a local guy who fabricates custom motorcycles with one and two cylinder diesel engines. He's not into it for the fuel economy, he just wanted to build something different. Gotta respect that.

That's cool. Any pics?

No pics, sorry. He was our fab guy when I worked at Epic, it was just his personal side project. The first bike was modeled after a WW2 style Harley, and I herd he started another. Not sure what this one is gonna look like, I just know he wanted to build something he could put a 2 cyl. diesel in. He's a real quiet guy, not the kind of guy to try to sell (or even post pictures on the net) any of his bikes.