HybridZ

hoist dying??

John Scott

My engine hoist died on me 1/2 way through a trial fitting of my headers. Lifted to a point then handle felt like it was pumping air. Has oil, purged air from system as recommended. 24-30s degrees in garage, but has always worked before. It was hit and miss during the final stab, finally recovering some pressure. Home alone with the transmision and engine dangling above your pride and joy and the hydraulic craps out makes for a nervous afternoon. Ideas, anyone?

John

It sounds like you blew a seal somewhere, if it happened all of a sudden. My floor jack had the same symptoms as yours, but they came on gradually. I brought it back to life by slowly pulling out the hydraulic piston while pouring fluid into the resevoir. Running the piston through it's travel a few times was enough to purge the air from the system. It works, but not quite as well as it did when I first got it.

I'm eagerly anticipating someone giving the CORRECT answer to your problem! Maybe it'll help me, too.

How much is a new bottle jack, just in case you can't fix yours?

I blew a seal on my engine hoist lifting a boulder (don't ask) into the back of puckup. The thing just leaks and leaks, and I have NOT tried it on an engine since, except once, but that was just getting the engine mounted on the stand. Is your hydraulic ram leaking perchance?

Davy

The Chinese ones always leak quickly. The US built ones are $100 and last alot longer.

Mine leaks (and quits) and I have to remove it, set it up vertical, remove the rubber plug that's about half way up the tube (it's painted orange like the ram) and fill it with more fluid. It works for a while longer and slowly leaks again over a month.