HybridZ

Help selecting a turbocharger...

CamH

I'm looking at upgrading my turbocharger in the next month or two, because the one I have is getting boring, and it is also starting to blow by some oil. Also, my Z needs a Christmas present. I would like some help selecting a new one.

Here is what I am running in my car right now (not sure how important any of this is):

L28ET with forged bottom end and ARP fasteners

450CC DSM injectors (and I have access to 550CC RC Engineering injectors...)

Non EGR intake manifold

Factory L28ET exhaust manifold

FMIC

My requirements are:

Internal wastegate

Somewhat low boost threshold (below 3500RPM?)

As little fabrication as possible

My current target is approximately 400WHP at this time, but I will probably want more in the future.

Right now I am looking at a GT3076R (http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-sport-products/garrett-gt3076r-turbocharger.html) or possibly a GT3582R (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-006&Category_Code=GRT) but I would like to know what experience others have had using these turbos on their L-series engines.

I know that a Holset would probably support my requirements, but I have heard about issues with their reliability. Also, I am looking for links to turbos that people recommend, if you are recommending something other than what I listed - I don't have my heart set on anything in particular - I am simply looking for suggestions. I just want to make sure that the turbocharger that I buy will be the only one I will ever need to buy for my car.

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Holset reliability? Yeah, I guess some of them fail after only 100,000 miles at 25 psi. Psht. Pieces of junk! :-)

How do they fail? The HX35 or HX35/40 would suit your needs. Rebuild kits cost a massive $60 and you can do it yourself. I have been told these modern versions (versus H1C, etc perhaps?) feature the turbine wheel (and integrated shaft) balanced separately from the compressor wheel (which is also individually balanced) so you don't even have to worry about indexing things during the rebuild.

Those other turbos, although Holsets cost about the same new as the Garretts, cannot be rebuilt but by a few shops. Big bucks.

Hey Cam!

I am running a SlowBoy Racing T3/T4 Gerrett GT3063 w/ Stage 3 wheels, .70 A/R compressor and .63 A/R turbine, 4" ID inlet w/ a ported shroud. It has a great boost threshold and hits 15psi very quickly. I can send you some datalogs showing what it does. The guys at SlowBoy are great and I get quite a good deal through them now as I have spent a good bit of money with them. I paid $675 shipped to my door since it was the first thing I bought from them. I can try and get you a better deal if you want to go with it since you have been such a great help to me. This turbo is available in any size you want along with having internal and external wastegate options. I am also getting rid of my manifold with external WG adapter because it runs my turbo into my steering shaft on my ZX. I will work fine on the S30's and you can ask BigPhill about it because we are running the same manifold setups.

Let me know what you think and if you have any more questions!

Adam Silver

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually ended up getting impatient and bought a T3/T04E turbocharger that helped to make 325WHP @ 17PSI on another L28, so we will see where I can get with that. If that doesn't work, I may be hitting you up about getting a deal on a different turbo, Adam! :D

Guest riojohn

HI,

There are a number of factors, such as turbo lag, boost threshold, heat, back-pressure, low-end torque, and top-end power, that you must take into account when selecting a turbo.

A large turbo will suffer from turbo lag and won't produce much low-end torque but it also won't put too much heat to the intake charge, won't have much back-pressure, and will produce loads of top-end power.

A small turbo, on the other hand, won't have much turbo lag and will produce loads of low-end torque but will also have lots of back-pressure and will add lots of heat to the intake charge. You can't have the best of both worlds but you can select the best turbo to suit your needs...

Thank you...

HI,

......You can't have the best of both worlds but you can select the best turbo to suit your needs...

Thank you...

You can have the best of both worlds, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend :mrgreen:.

By the way Cam, The highest intake temp that I have recorded so far after 15psi was 80 degrees F. I hasnt been too cold here in SC and I am also using a cheap ebay intercooler.

HI,

There are a number of factors, such as turbo lag, boost threshold, heat, back-pressure, low-end torque, and top-end power, that you must take into account when selecting a turbo.

A large turbo will suffer from turbo lag and won't produce much low-end torque but it also won't put too much heat to the intake charge, won't have much back-pressure, and will produce loads of top-end power.

A small turbo, on the other hand, won't have much turbo lag and will produce loads of low-end torque but will also have lots of back-pressure and will add lots of heat to the intake charge. You can't have the best of both worlds but you can select the best turbo to suit your needs...

Thank you...

Where are you located? "101, Broadway" doesn't tell the whole tale.

EDIT: NVM, it's Chennai, India. You may want to change your contact info on your website. People outside of India surf the web, too.