HybridZ

Working out a plan

Skib... thanks for the info. A smallish turbo is what I was thinking for the future but I didn't realize the compression would be that low. 7:1 is not going to do it. Looks like I need to do more research.

You could always go crazy-person like me, and swap in a F54/P79 for a 8.5:1 SCR and then boost that :mrgreen:

The car looks really really good, until you get to the front. :shock: Who did the headlamp 'conversion?'

Good luck with your project, looks like a great start!

You could always go crazy-person like me, and swap in a F54/P79 for a 8.5:1 SCR and then boost that :mrgreen:

The car looks really really good, until you get to the front. :shock: Who did the headlamp 'conversion?'

Good luck with your project, looks like a great start!

Thanks.

8.5:1 sounds more like it. The z31 na to t starts out around 8.3:1 and guys have had a lot of success with that. I still have my Spearco 221 from the shiro and a lot of bends so I'm good there. I'd probably have a stock turbo rebuilt with a small t4b compressor just for a little more efficiency and headroom. I kept my Aeromotive FPR setup too but the posters at zcar.com seem to think an FMU is the way to go. I'm not sure I buy that but I'll look into it if I do get a turbo motor going. The real goal of the car is driving fun. I don't have any interest in drag racing or street racing. I just want quickness, good handling, and reliability. There are some good roads up around the Texas hill country I'd like to try out.

The headlights are staying for the forseeable future. If I had started from scratch and had the money and skills to modify the body there's not much I would have done different. The headlights are one thing I wouldn't have done.

All the bodywork was done by the guy who owned the car before the guy I bought it from. Same for the mechanical modifications I think. Not much modification done that I've seen so far. The Webers, cam, and headers.

And I discovered by accident that the transmission is a 5 speed. I don't know if you can see the shift knob in the pics but it has the 4 speed pattern on it. I was going through the gears the other day and shifted into 5th by habit. Surprise ;) The PO owned the car from 1995 but he didn't give a lot of details on the motor. I need to give him a call and see what he can tell me.

I'd prolly keep the Webers but it's an "old dog, new trick" thing. It's great to open the hood and not see hoses and wires everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing something to the car today. Replaced the shift lever bushings. Really I just installed new brass bushings. There weren't any old bushings in it.

I'm hoping the weather will warm up a little and I can adjust the valves and get started on my distributor replacement. It's going to be a combo of installing a new E12-80 280zx dizzy and then converting that to using an HEI ignition module.

I have a spare z31 alt that I might try out too.

I'm thinking about selling the car too. I'm getting some good offers on it and if I can get enough to buy a 280z and an L28et I might do it. All things considered I think I'd rather have a turbo 280z that's not quite as nice.

Mike, I would not sell the car. I'm sure you can have a LOT of fun with the current engine set-up, and later down the road find a cheap L28et and build it the way you want. I dont think you ever really described the condition, but if it's rust free, I would hold onto it and take your time formulating your plan.