HybridZ

25 words or less on electron flow

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Someone in 25 words or less help me understand the E-flow from Battery to Alternator to various terminals. (289 Ford/280Z) What I think now is: Battery triggers Starter Solenoid via ingition switch...engine starts and alternator starts turning and flows juice to battery and main wireing harness, fusebox(s) relays ect. OR, does alternator have multiple outputs?? I see one thick yellow wire with terminal plastic plug into alternator, and additional smaller red wires going into wireing harness. Any explaination will be appreciated as I have gotton different stories.

Steve

What I think you are asking is how does the alternator charge the battery when the engine isn't started? The short answer is - it doesn't. The battery supplies all the energy needed to turn the starter, fire the plugs, run the ECU (if you have one) until the motor is turning fast enough for the alternator to return the energy to the battery. The reason the alternator doesn't drain the battery when it is unable to charge it are diodes that allow current flow in one direction.

HTH

Guest Anonymous

What is field and ground terminals used for? Does 'source' also mean field. I guess voltage meters etc. Can you explain. My alternator looks like it has three terminals not including the big juice wore. It looks like two are just briged with a small red wire, and the third goes to the harness ( voltage meter I guess ).

Steve

Steve

Steve, we need to know what you are trying to do before anyone can help you. Are you trying to swap a specific alternator into another vehicle?

If so, you would need to post information on both vehicles: make, year, model, with or without A/C or automatic transmission, and then post the name and all the numbers off the alternator as well.

If you are trying to learn how an alternator works, that is entirely a different matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

my original question focused on the electron flow through a cars wiring system. What I have learned is that different alternators are built differently. Some have one wire, some have field and ground, and some include guage circuitry terminals tach etc. I wanted general understanding of wiring system in cars. Also, I want to wire in relays to ease heat generation and general abuse on 25 year old 280Z harness. I think I have a working knowledge at this point, but feel free to add anything.

Steve

A car's wiring handles aging fairly well... the wire itself doesn't deteriorate, although the insulation does. In a dry climate and left to do the job for which it was designed, it can go on almost forever.

On the other hand when the load on a circuit is increased substantially, like swapping out the 55 watt headlights in favor of some 500 watt paint peelers, new relay switched and overload protected dedicated circuits become a necessity (not just a good idea). Too much juice through the original wires can lead to smelling melted plastic while canyon carving in the dark... a unique sensory experience.

Enjoy your 'Z'.

Mine's still in piles in the garage.

• 3 weeks later...