HybridZ

Autometer getting cheap

I just bought a Phantom Autometer gage model 5898 in used condition off ebay and I already had one of the same model number. What I noticed was that the gage I already have has a plastic case while the one I just bought, wh ch is older, has a metal case. I was a little stunned when I recieved my tach to find out it was in a chinsey plastic case. Autometer is supposed to be quality. Not so much any more.

Just thought you all might want to know.

Check and see if it says on it where it was made. I keep an eye on that all the time when I buy auto parts. Like when I buy a set of spark plugs, a lot of times they supplement their stock with Chinese or Mexican or some other cheap manufacturing country. You can visibly see the quality difference, and it says on the boxes where they're made to see the proof. Cutting costs to save a few bucks.

The problem I had with the plastic was that it was not uniform in its deminsion. It said that it was a 5" but when I tried to put it into the stock besel it would start to go in but then stop. The case is wider at the rear than at the front so I had grind it down, in other words make the case material thiner to get it into the Datsun besel. By that time, the case was almost paper thin but I made it work.