HybridZ

The total cost of paint supplies?

logan1

I am planning to paint my 240Z and needed some help putting together a good paint supply list.

Like everyone else I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. please QC my supply list and provide some good direction.

Also am i missing any key ingredients? I already have a air compressor and HVLP gun.

PearlWhitePaintsupply.jpg

That is some cheap paint, any idea on how it covers. I'd use an epoxy sealer as a first coat, before you apply your blocking primer. The best epoxy primer for the money is Southern Polyurethanes, same goes for their high build primers and clears, and they have 7 day tech support.

I'd recommend a good water trap or a dessicant snake hose for a one time paint job.

Use some high quality tack cloths, you'll need about a dozen. Also sandpaper can add about $80-$100 to your project, depends on how many times you block it, if you have to sand it before clearing to get rid of any junk in it, and then sand the clear before you buff it.

I shopped around before i bought my supplies and i could of saved like maybe 75-100 bucks by shopping online, but the info that i got from my local paint supply store was worth 10 times that much. They pretty much walked me through the whole process. Granted i had done my research and new a little bit but My car wouldnt look nearly as good as it does if it wasnt for the guys at my local paint supply store. I would honestly go local and use what they say.

This is what I used in order of application.

- 1 gal bare metal (etching) primer

- 1 gal filler

- 1 gal polyester primer-surfacer + hardener

- 1 gal epoxy primer (sealer)

- 1 gal urethane color + reducer

- 1 gal urethane clear + activator

Other

- 1 gal Acetone for cleaning gun etc.

- 1 gal cleaner + wax remover

- tack cloths

I probably spent $500 or so on everything. Bought a lot of stuff online, but I also found a great auto body supply store near my office which gave me some great advice. I would probably just buy from them next time. Their prices we not that much more than online.

Pete

I would also like to remind you that you are dealing with some pretty nasty chemicals when using polyisocyanates paints. A charcoal respirator will not be effective against isocyanates when using polyisocyanates paints. I always use a fresh air supplied mask wear a full suit when spraying. Your exposed skin and eyes absorb the isocyanate vapor as well and need to be covered.

Logan 1;

Scott M67 is offering some very valuable advice. Before using these products do a little reading on Isocyanate Vapor. This stuff can shorten your life. Are you old enough to remember the 1984 Bhopal, India tragedy that killed thousands? This is the same stuff. Be safe and good luck with your project.

Mike

I'm definitely in the "go to the local paint supply shop" They can talk you through quite a bit, and make sure you are getting the proper "system" for painting/protecting your car. Don't just trust the first shop you find either. Different supply shops carry different brands, and have different levels of expertise.

I would stay away from isocyanates if possible. There are products that are isocyanate free. As an FYI, many auto mfg's use paints that are isocyanate free due to tougher regulations, and safety concerns.