HybridZ

L26: Blown headgasket?

michaelp

That gasket looks fine to me; I don't see any spots where it blew out. the Fel-pro gasket that you have there is used all the time and as long as proper head bolt torque is attained, can break internals before it blows out, whereas a Nissan oem gasket will blow before breaking internals, IN MOST cases.

The water pump damage is from not running anti-freeze, and the milky nastyness could be from the timing cover corroding through.

I'd check that motor over carefully; something is definately amiss.

That gasket looks fine to me; I don't see any spots where it blew out. the Fel-pro gasket that you have there is used all the time and as long as proper head bolt torque is attained, can break internals before it blows out, whereas a Nissan oem gasket will blow before breaking internals, IN MOST cases.

The water pump damage is from not running anti-freeze, and the milky nastyness could be from the timing cover corroding through.

I'd check that motor over carefully; something is definately amiss.

The car had antifreeze in it when I drained it, perhaps just old with broken down additives. I took the head off because I plan to clean it up and do some work to it and use it on my L28 (flat top pistons)

Edit: also, I don't suspect the felpro gasket is the one that failed, but rather before and the PO just changed the headgasket more recently.

Edit: also, I don't suspect the felpro gasket is the one that failed, but rather before and the PO just changed the headgasket more recently.

That gasket appears to be newer than everything else in the engine bay. PO probably thought it was a blown heagasket and changed it, tried to start it, and it turned out to be something else that he didn't have the time or money to mess with.

That gasket appears to be newer than everything else in the engine bay. PO probably thought it was a blown heagasket and changed it, tried to start it, and it turned out to be something else that he didn't have the time or money to mess with.

To be fair it has brand new spark plugs too...:lol:

But It doesnt matter to me, I bought it for a project, so thats what I've got. And as I said, I'm building a L28 for it.