HybridZ

An hour, a piece of cheap Ikea carpet and some scissors...

Konish

Fellas,

I'm doing a very slow preservation on my car and needed something to cover my tunnel as I decide what I ultimately want to do with the interior.

I really didn't want to spend the money on the fabricated pieces only to decide later that I want to go a different direction, or even more likely they get screwed up while I'm doing something else to the car.

Anyway, while we were at Ikea today, I picked up a large, $25 area rug with a small loop pile (tan/brown...I guess) and used the original vinyl as a pattern.

I had to make some minor cuts and adjustments, but I think it turned out pretty well. I don't think I'm going to glue it down so I can quickly remove it. For the most part it lays pretty tightly against the tunnel by itself, so I think it'll work.

Just a small ghetto project, but it was fun and I like how it looks and insulates.

R/

Dustin

62584d30.jpg

that looks extremly good. Do you think you could give a item # so i can see if they have it in other colors? I have an ikea about 20 min from me.

I looked for the receipt and could not find it, and the trash guy took the scraps away this morning.

The rug was down on the first floor where they have all the area rugs. It had the tan center and 2 dark-brown strips flanking it along it's length. It also has a rubbery, non-slip material on the bottom-side I looked for all black but could not find it in any other color at all.

I don't think you can miss it though, it was the only one of it's size for like $25.00 (might be more or less in the US).

If I were back in the States, I would go to a carpet store (outdoor carpeting) or marine supply house and ask to see what scraps they had and go from there.

R/

Dustin

Be careful when driving at first, just be sure that the gas pedal doesn't get wedged down. It happened to me a number of times because my aftermarket carpet kit didn't fit quite right, basically because there was a lump where the floor transitioned to the firewall. Not saying you will have the same issue, but if you do be prepared to put your foot under the gas pedal and pull it up with your toe, or put it in neutral, etc.

Just a couple months ago there was 4 people in a Lexus where the gas pedal got stuck and they called 911 and couldn't figure out what to do. They ended up going off the highway, rolling and they all died. I still can't believe they could figure out to call 911 but not to put the car in neutral or turn the engine off, but anyway I thought the word of warning was in order...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2010428811_apusrunawaycarcrash.html?syndication=rss

Be careful when driving at first, just be sure that the gas pedal doesn't get wedged down. It happened to me a number of times because my aftermarket carpet kit didn't fit quite right, basically because there was a lump where the floor transitioned to the firewall. Not saying you will have the same issue, but if you do be prepared to put your foot under the gas pedal and pull it up with your toe, or put it in neutral, etc.

Just a couple months ago there was 4 people in a Lexus where the gas pedal got stuck and they called 911 and couldn't figure out what to do. They ended up going off the highway, rolling and they all died. I still can't believe they could figure out to call 911 but not to put the car in neutral or turn the engine off, but anyway I thought the word of warning was in order...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2010428811_apusrunawaycarcrash.html?syndication=rss

Appreciate the concern...it was one of the first things I checked after I installed the piece. I've had a stuck throttle on an old 911SC that I used to have and managed to get the motor shut off and the clutch pulled in before things went out of hand...'course I almost dislocated my shoulder reaching for the ignition key...