HybridZ

Pressing out the spindle pin

Take it to a shop and explain how important it is for them to not damage the housing (you can replace the spindle pins). One of mine came out with a spindle pin puller in two minutes. I took the other one to my friend's transmission shop and they used some of their big tools to extract it. Just don't rush them (the shop) and they'll get it out!

man, should i just leave mine alone? my under car does look better than the average z. maybe ill try to pull those suckers when i build me a spindle puller. im in the process of sectioning struts and replacing bushings in the area too. hopefully it works for me. so far my stub axle nuts came out decent!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I keep hearing & reading about the difficulty in removing spindle pins. Must be a damp climate (rust) thing. Removed mine with a few whacks with a 3 lb. hammer (cushioned by wood) and followed up with a long punch. I reinstalled them coated with lithium grease just for good measure. Are you guys removing the lock bolt or do these things really get that corroded?

After we get the pin out, would it be ok, to just replace that damned thing with a big high grade bolt?

Yes that's what I did. 10"x5/8" grade 8 bolt and nyloc nut.

I keep hearing & reading about the difficulty in removing spindle pins. Must be a damp climate (rust) thing. Removed mine with a few whacks with a 3 lb. hammer (cushioned by wood) and followed up with a long punch. I reinstalled them coated with lithium grease just for good measure. Are you guys removing the lock bolt or do these things really get that corroded?

Yes, we are definitely removing the lock pin. Trust me when I tell you that these things REALLY DO GET THAT CORRODED.

• 2 months later...

I removed mine with a sledge to get it moving then put a vise grip on it turned it a bit back and forth then kept on wacking then got a long bolt and popped it out. I bought my Z in Missouri and it had been sitting for 9 years, so I don't know why some people have problems and some don't. I think it depends on the specific Z and if they were replaced during the life of the car. I would think the stock ones would be the hardest, if they were replace years ago it might be a different story.