HybridZ

Would need your opinion on this setup

I'm currently working on the following upgrade on my 240Z:

- Datsun Performance Coilover with Illumina and F218/R271 springs

- Front and rear swaybar

- ROH 15 x 9 Wheels

- ZG Flares

The tire mounted on the wheel are 205/50/15. Two of them need to be replaced.

I have spacer for the rear wheel of 1¼ inch which bring the wheel 2 inch out of the fender (ZG are not mounted yet)

For the front, I have spacer of 7/8 inch.

If you check on the picture attached, the wall for the rear tire is to low to my taste. I would like a bit more rubber at least in the rear. Front look Ok I think. Would 225/50/15 look on the rear and fit the wheel?

FYI, my car is not the one on the picture. It is the one I'm taking the parts from.

For the camber ajustment, since I'm going with larger wheel and spacer, would I have enough ajustment for proper alignment?

I've been searching a lot on the site but didn't find the exact post that could help me.

Thanks,

Joce

8ea4_20_thumb.jpg

205's are ridiculously narrow tires for a 9" rim. I think you'll find that there isn't much available in the correct width, which should be around 245 - 275 depending on tire manufacturer.

Stock Z suspension has one adjustment. Front toe. You can shim in a tiny bit of caster too, but that is it. If you want to adjust camber you'll need camber adjusting bushings, adjustable control arms, camber plates, or some combination of those three.

I realize that we all want our cars to have a look that we like. But at some point performance should come into the discussion, no? Choosing tires primarily based on how they look is very likely to miss in the performance department. If you're at all serious about performance, I think you're going to find that you need to leave the 15" world behind and move to 16". There just aren't very many choices left in the proper sizes of 205/60-15 and 225/55-15. Search on these sizes at tirerack.com and see how little you find. And this is less than last year, so the trend is not good.

I'd suggest that before you go too much further setting the suspension up with 15's that you make the switch to 16".

These are all-season tires. Fine for going to work/school and back, but not what you want for any kind of spirited/aggressive driving, never mind on the track.

These are all season tires as well (except for the drag radial). Plus, this size is 13% larger (> 3.3") in diameter than stock!

Except for the Pirelli, these are all-season tires, and the Pirelli is very dated technology and quite over-priced for what it is.

If your goal is to build a car for performance driving that includes left and right turns and not just for show, none of these is a good solution. Here are some better tires in 16" and some are no more expensive than the 15"s. But they aren't the right choice for mud and snow :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=50&diameter=16&x=53&y=11