HybridZ

Help needed installilng outer LCA bushings

Pulled apart rear suspension. Got out old bushings, pressed in new polyurethane bushings and now.....

can't get the LCA back on the strut. The space between the bushings is now about 1/8th too narrow to fit over the strut. The bushings appear to be pushed all the way in.

Is there some trick to wedging the LCA back over the strut?

Santa is coming with a pool table and the wheels have to go back on so I can get the car out of the garage!!! Ho ho help!!!

Edited by mclark999
get email response

I had the same trouble when I did my rear end with poly years ago, what I did was to remove one of the "top hat" part's of the poly bush from the LCA and gently sand the face of it on a flat sheet of abrasive paper to remove a small amount of material, keep checking for clearance and removing material until the LCA is a nice snug fit around the strut

Well, I did a little of all the suggestions.

The scissor jack only got me about 1/16th of an inch. The jack just wasn't open far enough to get enough leverage to spread the LCA any more. The jack was bending and would have broken if I pushed it any harder.

Then I trimmed about 1/16 off each bushing. Then I got the bfh and muscle and wedged it all together.

Getting the spindle pin in was a piece of cake. Here's why. I happen to have a really larger screwdriver that has a wide spot that is almost identical to the inside diameter of the LCA. I wedge the screwdriver through the passage way and twist it around until I get the LCA and strut perfectly lined up. Then I put in the spindle and tap it through. I imagine getting the spindle through the second bushing could be much harder if the LCA is bent out of shape.

So thank you all for your suggestions. Looks like the boys will have a merry Christmas and I'll have a pool table in the garage.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Michael

Edited by mclark999
clarification