HybridZ

Non-Z but 302 troubleshooting help

heavy85

I just bought a '92 E-150 with a 5.0 (302) to tow the Z. It's only got 80,000 miles and in general is in cherry condition. However, when cold it starts right up then dies several seconds later. It floods out and I know that because when it restarts you can smell the half burnt fuel. If you try to start it back up it just cranks unless you floor it then it will start right back up. You have to keep it reved otherwise it will die again. Once it's a bit warm it runs and idles smooth. There are no lights on the dash other than the rear ABS and the temp gauge bounces around. Any ideas where to start? Since it's fuel injected I'm confused why flooring it allow it to start right back up like it's got a carb? Since this is Ford V-8 tech land I was hoping there would be someone who have seen this before.

Thanks

Cameron

Idle Air control seems like, clean it out and see if it helps as it can cake up pretty badly. Make sure to get a new gasket for it. It can also just fail so you may need a new one.

Also use some MAF cleaner and clean the MAS.

Do your reg maint on it from plugs to fuel filters, its good practice anyways just to do it all at one time.

Good luck.

-Eric-

Autozone has code readers that will work. Don't get hung up on the OBD1 crap, you just need a run of the mill EFI code reader or flasher with a Ford adaptor. Or, you could just get the CEL codes and start counting flashes. I forget what the trick is to trigger them, it's been a while since I bought my reader.