HybridZ

GT35R vs t3/t67

B00STDZ

Browsing turbos and found this huge t3/t4 turbo

http://www.nipponpower.com/product.phtml?p=821

Could this be used on an l28et?

I searched other forums and they said that this turbo is very similar to a gt35r but has a slower spool but a higher horsepower potential.

Something like

gt35r full boost - 3,000 RPM

t3/t67 full boost - 4,000 RPM

How would an l28et handle this kind of turbo?

also, garrets new GTX turbos are going to be released 2010!

If all what I said is true, the t3/t67 pushes more efficient boost, and mates with l series engine nice, it seems like a very good choice and possible to make 500+whp.

I know timz uses the gt42, my theory is that the t3/t67 might spool alittle faster.

Another plus would be... You could probably use the stock exhaust manifold and msa downpipe, would just have to increase the intake size. Making it practically "bolt in".

Another plus would be... You could probably use the stock exhaust manifold and msa downpipe, would just have to increase the intake size. Making it practically "bolt in".

Be very careful about T3/TX hybrid turbos and the MSA downpipe. The factory 280ZX T3 turbo used a unique internal wastegate and the MSA pipe will only bolt to it. I bought a Garrett T3/T4 thinking I'd just swap over a factory T3 wastegate but they don't fit (although they are close enough to look like they would fit in pictures). In the end I had to buy a new external wastegate and fab a custom downpipe. This one "little thing" caused me to blow out my budget by around $700. Of course, the new waste gate is larger and I now have a full 3" exhaust all the way back, so it was a good improvement, but frustrating to have to spend so much that wasn't planned.

t61 is basically a gt35.

But really the main difference is the t3/t67 supports more horse but has a little longer spool time.

Im curious as to how an l28et would handle this turbo, maybe it might make pretty good power..

Currently, my car has a T67 T3 bb turbo from Precision Turbo on a 3 liter stroker with a ported head and a WEB turbo cam . With the bb turbo the turbo spools by 3500 rpm with a plain bearing T67 the same setup spooled at just under 4k.Until the 3 liter is rebuilt I am running the same turbo on a bone stock N/A L28 at 7-8 psi and it spools @ 4k or so with a stock N42 head and cam. The T67 plain bearing with a .82 exhaust housing and a stage 5 wheel should spool by 4 k and work just fine on an L28et. I have been very happy with how the T67 performs and plan on making 500rwh with it (shouldn`t be a problem).

turbocat.jpg

T67 with 17 psi, the clutch slipped at 18 psi or 500 rwh would have happened at 22 psi or so.

dyno420hp.jpg

Nice. This will probably, most likely be my next turbo then...

Is the shroud on your t3/t67 ported?

Yes, it is an anti surge housing.

IMO, http://www.limitengineering.com/

is who I would purchase a plain bearing T67 from, ask to talk to Chopper and explain your application. They can help with proper wastegate selection as well.

T67 with 17 psi, the clutch slipped at 18 psi or 500 rwh would have happened at 22 psi or so.

dyno420hp.jpg

Simply impressive. 220+ WHEEL horsepower increase in like 300 rpms. I bet you can really feel the boost.

The website you refered to only sells gt style turbos.

The turbo I am looking at is the garrett t3/t67 H.O. Dual ball bearing turbo. http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1107 . I would just need to take it to a machine shop to get the shroud on the compressor ported.

"The website you refered to only sells gt style turbos."

You have to talk to Limit Engineering, they don't list the plain bearing turbos on the website, but trust me they sell them. They have great customer service and excellent quality turbos + the water cooled bearing is a no cost option.

When a T67 spools to full boost there is NO doubt you are in boost.

There is no need to have the compressor housing machined, just order the turbo with a anti surge housing.

• 2 months later...

I like the t61 map a little better than the t67 map, I also like the smaller borg warner maps, like the s256.

t61 is basically a gt35.

I retract my previous comments!

4965794f698a26591a9dc239c1f1846c6g.jpg

Very interesting. I cant seem to find a t67 compressor map.

When I search garrett t61 all the comes up is t3/t61 or t4/t61.

The t3/t61 is rated at 520 rwhp

The t4/t61 is rated at 590 rwhp

I started studying the t61 compressor map... It appears you can run 30 psi of boost and cut through the top of the efficiency zone... Maybe a good power potential?

I need to find a t67 compressor map to compare!

For those wondering 30 psi is 3.04 bar and the l28et flows say 27 lbs/min at 3250 rpms and 53 lbs/min at 6500. (is if you wanted to map it out on a t61 compressor map and see for yourself)

Edited by B00STDZ

I started reading on turbonetics website and THEY state that 50lbs/min flow = 500 hp.

It appears with a l28et if this is true that it would require alot of efficient boost to push alot of horsepower.

If the t61 is able to push an efficient 30 psi... and flows 53 lbs/min at 6500 rpm's WHILE passing through the efficiency zone..

This means the t61 could push the l28et to 500+rwhp with NO problems of surging...

How much to anti-surge compressor housing expand compressor maps? I have a feeling the t61 is very similar to the t67 as far as compressor maps, but we may be pushing the surge limit...