HybridZ

Not datsun but I need some auto tranny info for my Elantra

denny411

I have a 94 hyundia elantra with an auto trans. Lately it has been slipping when cold, but shifts and runs fine once it is warmed up. :confused:

Are there any tranny Guru`s here that could help me diagnose my problem?

I`m going to start with a fluid/filter change and see what happens. It feels like it`s not pumping fluid. I moved it into the garage last night and when I accelerated to pull forward, it felt like their was drag on the engine but the car wouldn`t move forward until I really reved the engine.

I can hear what sounds like slurping or possibly sucking air when the car is idling.Or maybe it`s fluid spraying inside the pan. :confused:

My first thoughts would be the pump or the converter, but I`m shooting in the dark.

If it is the converter I have a place semi-locally that could rebuild it.

Are their any specific tools(pressure guages) that I could use to diagnose this?

If I were in Ohio it wouldn`t be much of an issue. I would just look for another tranny with no concern of how long it takes, but we are in Alabama and our other spare vehicles are in Ohio. twak.gif

First check the fluid level. If you have a KM series trans. the dip stick will be very low twords the front on the passenger side. check it in neutral at idle. if it apperes burt or has a burnt popcorn smell DO NOT CHANGE IT this will only make matters worse!!!! As for a shop to rebuild it look for a shop who is a member of ATRA they offer a nationwide warranty and have to have a certain level of training and customer service. They may cost a little more up front but you will be very pleased in the long run. Does the transmission have a long delay of engagement into drive or reverse when cold? Put foot on brake and put it into gear how long does it take for you to feel it engage? if it takes too long I wouls suspect pump failure, if it engages quickly and slipps on acceleration you can point your finger at low forward cluch pack psi. or a burned out set of low/reverse clutchs. Either of these calls for a complete overhaul. Keith

It IS slow to engage with your foot on the brake. It doesn`t slip at all once it engages though.

I started the car the other day and let it run for about 5 mins, this time when I put it in gear it had no delay or slippage at all.

I did check the fluid and it has no burnt smell to it. What fluid does this trans require?

I would say so. Its sad that the majority of mechanics out there dont know the difference between atf+3 and dextron atf. I hope that your tranny doesnt have dextron in it. I dont see how a good flush and filter with a new fill of ATF+3 can hurt anything. Just dont overfill! Its better to start out with not enough than overfill, especially with trannys.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith, Would you happen to know what the differences are between the early 93 and 94 elantra automatic transaxles?

Hollander shows they won`t interchange. I`m wondering if some of the switches or sensors can be swapped to make them compatible.

I just want to patch this car up for resale, and don`t want to put a butt load of money in it that I`ll never see again.

I found an early 93 car locally for 250.00 that I can drive home.

BTW, i pulled the pan off of mine and found some needle bearings and pieces of the bearing cage in the pan :shock:

I'm not sure what the differences are. I think one is a KM 75 the other is a KM 130 the bearing you found is most likley a torrington thrust bearing I would take a long look at the two trans and see if they are that close. I DO NOT think they will work (the shift stratigies are VERY different) Do you have ready access to the hollender manual for 87 imports? I need to find out if the carrier in the diff is the same for 3:9's as the 4:10's. Sorry I could not be more helpful. Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Lack of fluid aside; It has been my experience that all older automatics will come to the condition you describe. I just trip down to the local part supply and come out with a container of the best "Transmission Reconditioner" they have. I put it in and 100-200 miles later it's all over and forgotten. I would do this before considering any rebuild.

Hey Denny. I would also check the fluid pressure. I worked on a Turbo 400 that self-destructed the sprag and caused one of the bands to ride all the time even between shifts :D (it was burking 2nd gear everytime which was cool)Then alot of shaving clog the filter. As result, the pressure fell to like 0 psi and the cold engagement was almost impossible. Just a thought 8)

I found the problem a few weeks ago. it seems I had a bearing failure in the pump. I pulled the pan and found a whole load of crap in there. :shock:

I just bought another car on ebay that is alot nicer,with more options.I got the car for 400.00 with a bad engine. That was cheaper than I could get another tranny. I`m going to put my good 50k engine in the other car and be way ahead in the end.

I have abolutely no help for ya. I'm posting this because one of my co workers has a 95 elantra automatic, and is complaining of similar problems (more probs going into overdrive) He just had them start giving him probs just this week. We've been talking about solutions all week... BTW a rebiuld (he was told) would be a couple of $K. :shock: His current solution is to run some of that tranny reconditioner through it, and see what happens... if all else fails, he is going to buy another car..