HybridZ

Questions about the metal water pipe coming out the driver's side of the block.

Jwink25

Ok, I have an 82 or 83 280ZXT block. What I am having a problem with is, my Turbo Tom exhaust manifold hits it (that metal water pipe).

Was this part ever in a different location?

Do they have a different shaped water pipe?

Is this piece just pressed in?

Can I heat it up, remove, turn, or bend it...then reinstall it? Kinda like a freeze plug.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

Are you referring to the pipe at the front drivers side of the block? That is a crank case breather pipe. It is there on all L series engines but had different shape pipes thru the years. You can safely cut it short and put a rubber elbow on it. DO NOT block it off. It needs to go to the intake/PCV, catch can, or just put a filter on it.

Is this piece just pressed in?

Can I heat it up, remove, turn, or bend it...then reinstall it? Kinda like a freeze plug.

Yes

I used a Mitsubishi PCV Valve that plugged RIGHT into the side of the block, and removed the pipe entirely. The Mitsu valve was plumbed to vacuum in the manifold between carb and turbo and as I recall was restricted with a 0.063" orifice internally. The top of my valve cover had the deriguer K&N filter installed.

But this was in my old Drawthrough days. Dark days indeed.

Yes, it will pull out: channel locks may break it free, or you may have to clamp a vice grips onto it and knock the grips with a hammer to get it free. Tightening it back up can be accomplished by soldering on that end, or laying some thin braze to increase the diameter slightly and then sanding it down till you can pound it back in (if it's too loose for your tastes, use some pliable sealant if you didn't solder/braze all-round).

All I remember was it was specified as being for a Mitsubishi---I can't remember which one, maybe a Non-Turbo 4G63 from the mid-late 80's? This was 91 when I did this, so it wasn't anything newer than that! The rubber grommet on the PCV fit RIGHT into that hole with the pipe removed. I think it was a valve that stuck into the valve cover of the Mitsu as I recall. Might have been a Dodge D50 or Colt that I snared it out of in the JY. I am such a parts whore it's not funny.

I have another drawthrough system (er... perhaps I should not admit this here, some people will gnash their teeth knowing I preserve old school technology...) And at various times have run the Crown, Modified Crown, Turbo Toms, SK, and HKS setups on my car. Add to that several years before getting into Datsuns, various VW and Corvair Turbo Ventures and you can see why I got hung with the name 'turbotony' which is my e-mail at some webservers...