HybridZ

Rb20 tranny rebuild?

dizzle

Has anyone rebuilt an rb20 trans. I have one hooked to my rb25det and I feel that she is on the way out. I am getting excessive noise under cruising, like the bearings are a little worn. And if I am hard accelerating it doesn't go into 2nd very well. I know that the KA and the RB20 trans are very similar, but will a rebuild kit for a KA trans have the parts I will need to fix my RB20 trans? Thanks for any advice...

The 2wd RB20DET trans here is the FS5W71C, Same as fitted to RB30e commodores as well.

Since read on here your KA24DE trans is a FS5W71C, I can't see why the kits shouldn't be interchangable. The only real difference I would expect to find is the bell housing casting.

someone on here held up with 444whp from an SR20 on an FS5W71C, and I believe Enjuku held one for some time with a 550+whp SR20.

SR20's make a torque equivalent to the hp, so it shouldn't be TOO bad on a stock 25.

Same logic I was thinking. I'm going to try to go with an RB20 trans for my swap...

Go for it see how you get on.

You can make any gearbox last behind any engine as long as you are careful.

Personally I would rather not be sitting on the side of the road with a box full of neutrals waiting on a two truck.

Same logic I was thinking. I'm going to try to go with an RB20 trans for my swap...

If I ever get the RB30DE going, I'm definitely going to use the 240sx gear housing and the RB20 bell housing.

I don't think the engine will have the torque to kill those boxes if they're in good shape to begin with, and I can find a KA24 box pretty cheap, so I will have a driveshaft already matched.

It would also make the car lighter and parts are easier to come by.

My FS5R30A is starting yell at me from time to time... I can't find a replacement.