HybridZ

240 or 280 tranny crossmember?

Empire

I've got an odd situation to deal with. I've got a '71 240, but have a 280 motor and 5spd tranny, different diff as well. I have the 2.4 and the 4spd too, but won't be using them.

A while back I ordered the Energy Suspension master kit for a 240, and added the 240 tranny crossmember bushing set. From what I can see, there is nowhere to use these (240 tranny crossmember) bushings. Am I crazy? I looked through my spare parts I got with the car, and can't find anything that resembles a tranny crossmember, just one for the extra diff.

Can I use a 240 tranny crossmember with the 5spd I have, if I could actually find one? Or am I stuck with bushings I'll never use?

I don't think the 70-72 240z uses any bushing in the tranny crossmember... not that I know of at least, assuming you're talking about bolting the crossmember to the tranny tunnel.

The 73-78 tranny crossmembers are a slightly different design though, and although I haven't checked, I wouldn't be surprised if they used a bushing.

• Administrators

Owen is correct. It sounds like you have bushings for the later crossmember. There is no place to use them on your early style crossmember. Advertise them in our classifieds. Someone will soak them up. Heck, if the price is right, I may buy them from you.

Edit--

Here is a picture of the later style. Ignore the studs, it was modified for a different trans. You can see where the bushings would go.

TransMount1.jpg

Edited by RTz

Yeah mine just looks like a piece of flat stamped steel (the one on the 5spd, I never had the one for the 4spd).

Is there any way to adapt the later style crossmember to my car? If not then the bushings will be for sale. I'm in Toronto, prefer to deal somewhat local.

• 1 month later...
Can I put the later style (pictured) crossmember on my '71 240? Would I have to drill/modify the floor or bracing?
You would have to drill out the current mounts in the tranny tunnel, do the same with ones from a 73 240z although other years might work, spot weld those mounts back in, and then you could use the later cross member.