HybridZ

Subtle Z hood FYI

BLKMGK

Just an FYI. John is having some trouble getting my hood out to me. His cratingshipping company wants $60 to crate the sucker and $185 to ship it to VA! UPS apparently won't take it - too big, and the freight company says too small. We're still looking for options to include Air Freight (I'm near an airport) but I'm not sure how well that will work out either. Bummer!

We'll see what happens. As you might imagine I'm not keen on paying double for the hood so this may kill the deal altogether. John's doing his best though, this isn't really his fault. It sounds like he's not had to ship too many single parts like hoods before...

Guest Anonymous

Dude keep searching for shipping companies under shipping in the phone book.I just went through the same thing trying to send a front spoiler out it was 10 inches too big for UPS.Everyone else wanted $200 I was scrued.I finally found one that shipped it for $100.Good luck.

Thanks! John is th eone doing the searching right now on his end tho'. If he can't find a cheaper carrier I simply will have to find another way to get the heat out from under the hood. I DO have a second pristine 240 hood that I could add a scoop to. I've seen steel ones advertised in a few mags and there's a quality body shop nearby so... I might try that. The glass hood would be SO much easier though!

We'll see...

Why not get one from Motorsport.. I have had tons of stuff shipped through them with oput a hassle... And I'm talking body kits, hoods (I've owned two cowl hoods) and rear wings with no problem and little extra cost.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Well two reasons I guess. I'd not taken much of a look at the MSA hoods as I'd heard such good things about the parts John sells. Second reason was that John was nice enough to stop by here, tell us about his product, and was an all around personable guy both here and on the phone. That goes a LOONG way in my book. Try calling ArizonaZ sometime and you'll understand why - I'll NEVER buy from that jerk ever! $1K minimum purchase and you'd think you were putting him out to buy something from him...

I'm toying with the idea of modifying a stock hood with a cowl scoop. I've got a pristine hood from another Z that I was going to let go with my parts shell but... It may find itself on my red car instead! am going to have to look around at scoops first - there's one place that caters to the ChevelleCamaro crowd that has steel cowl scoops that might work - perhaps with a little sectioning etc. Cost will be a factor.

Worse comes to worse I'll try it with a stock 240 hood. The 280Z hood I'd fouond new for $50 fell through as I didn't keep after the guy. Live and learn! Was local too (sniff sniff).

FYI, Chris and I are on another adventure, getting ready to setup molds for fiberglass front ends, carbon interior panels and other fiberglass parts...

Are any of you guys interested in buying this stuff???????????

Mike

------------------

mjk

To answer your questions:

1: Yes

&

2: Yes

We are doing some research and will start experimmenting this week with molds for interior and exterior parts. I'd like to get some data on Jim Biondo's front clip as I'd like to put something like that into use on both my Zs. However, a stock mold of a regular front clip, and then one with flares and a cowl style hood will be my 1st attempts. We're also looking at Carbon Fiber door panels, dash panels, and center consoles!

Stay tuned!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Yup, count me as interested in interior panels - especially a dash cap and door panels. I've been considering this myself for awhgile - even posted about it but no one seemed interested. :-(

I ASSume you know about Aircraft Spruce? They can supply you the quality materials you'll need. I'll also ASSume you know about this page ->

http://www.bryanf.com/info/carbon1.htm

I'm dying to do the dogleg panels behind the passenger area, the kickpanels, the dash cap (maybe), and the door panels especially. :-)

Guest Anonymous

Yep, Mike and I are on another adventure...

I have two decent stock fenders, Mike has a decent hood and air dam. This afternoon I began stripping the fenders down to the bare metal as they will have to be absolutely perfect in order to create a mold.

As Mike stated, we will probably start off with a stock style front clip, then one with flares, then a cowl scoop hood, then a rear hatch, then the carbon fiber interior panels, etc...

Should be alot of fun. I even ask the wife about setting up our molding shop in a corner of the basement (I believed that was going to be the most difficult part of the project) and she was very receptive...for now!

Chris

Guest Anonymous

i started to make some molds of the factory fenders myself since i have two spare fenders that are in good shape. got them almost done but i will half to make the fender it self to see how well the mold turned out. i would be really interested in the interior parts also. keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see all the enthusiam, it would be great to see some new stuff for the Z . Spend alot of attention to your molds, it will pay off in the long run . I don't think alot of people know the actual cost of materials alone, I am guessing the materials for a hood alone would be $400 . I would like the center dash bezel for the vents, a nice racing touch .

Actually you would be suprised how cheap you can buy fiberglass resin and matting

material for. You can buy the hood from JC Whitney for 399, and rest assured they are

making some money on the deal. Arizona

Z car charges 279. but thay arent smart enough to get it packaged and shipped out the door unless they sell you 1000.00

in parts. It kinda sounds like a racket to

me, but that is just my personal opinion..

Are you guys going to make a mold of an existing ready-made hood or are you going to make a hood on your own then make a mold of that hood? what about the factory hinge mechanism, are you going have the hinge points or will it be a hood pin/flush fastener

Guest Locutus

I con't think any of the current makers use any kind of bracing for thier hoods, I think most recomement you take of the spring on your hood hinges so that it swings freely. Other than that I don't know much about fiber glass hoods except that I am intrested in G-Nose if yall are thinking about one of those maybe? Or depending on the style of your the air dam you come up with and how it looks I might consider that as well. keep us informed

Mike

J. C. WHITNEY. I TRIED THEM A FEW MONTHS AGO AND THEY SAID NO HOOD AVAILABLE.

THAT SUCKS, HAVE TURNED OVER A LOT OF STONES WITH NO LUCK!!! FOUND A GUY ON THE EAST COAST WHO IS GOING TO HOOK ME UP, SO I HOPE.

WILL POST RESULTS WHEN IT HAPPENS, WHO KNOWS NOW DAYS..

MIKE

WooHoo! John spoke to his shipping company about the previous quote and got a new one. Can you say $75 shipped! It won't goto my door but will goto the "terminal". I'm not sure if that's the freight depot or if that's to my friend's business address which is where I wanted it to go. This is a BIG difference in price down from the $180 he was quoted earlier. Says the shipping crate is nice too.

I'll let everyone know when it arrives. The SubtleZ pics don't give a real good idea of what the cowl hood looks like so if I'll try to take some pics of it when it shows up. Have some fuel cell pics too - need to build a site darn it....