HybridZ

Reverse Lockout 1978 280Z 5 speed

NewZed

I just put a 5 speed from a 1978 280Z in my 1976. It works fine but I find that it is scarily easy to hit reverse accidentally on the way back down to 4th gear from 5th. I saw in an earlier post that the 1980 5 speed was the first to come with a reverse lockout.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101796&page=2

Does anyone know of a fix, mod or upgrade to the 1978 transmission or shifter or console that will provide a reverse lockout? Are they all this way or could mine be broken? As it is, I have to downshift to 4th with a very light grip to keep it away from reverse. I have a 5 speed 95 Pathfinder so I know what a "normal" 5 to 4 shift feels like.

The drain plug came out really clean in mine, so it looks like the PO didn't grind things too many times, but I would like to be able to drop down to 4th gear at speed quickly without worrying about destroying reverse. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the early 5-speeds had more of a reverse "avoidance" system of springs and check balls in the shifting mechanism. At least as far as I can tell from the FSM diagrams. I actually spent some time comparing the 78, 79, 80 and 81 5-speed shifter diagrams and can not find a difference in parts, except for what appears to be one extra "check spring" in 1981. So I don't know what the 1980 "lockout" is that is referred to in the other thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101796&page=2

I was hoping that someone with more experience with Datsun shifters than me would be familiar with what I was talking about and have some recommendations. Compared to other 5-speeds I have driven this one is just way too easy to drop in to reverse while moving forward. I don't know if it's design weakness of the early 5-speeds or something that can be adjusted/fixed. There is very little guidance back over to 4th gear when pulling the shift lever down from 5th.

The transmission came out of a car that sat for 10 years. It may just be that the spring is tired or things are gummed up. I didn't take the tranny or shifter apart, but the oil was clean so I didn't expect any problems.

Thanks for the help. It's not a show-stopper as far as driving, but it definitely needs improvement if I can figure it out.