HybridZ

Scotch Drinkers Unite: Your Favorites

Drax240z

The Ardbeg 10 was a bit pricey, $94 for 700ml up here. However, British Columbia has the most expensive alcohol prices in North America, so you might find it locally at a much lower price.

For beginners, Johnny Walker Black label is a great suggestion, it's very reasonably priced, and a VERY good blended scotch. One of the best "bangs for the buck" out there.

If you want to try a good single malt, look for Scapa 14, it's VERY reasonably priced and very good. Often described as a beginner scotch, it's an easy one to get started on because it doesn't have a strong smoke or peat flavour.

I second the notion of Johnny Walker Black, I'm a big fan. For sweeter nights Crown Royal is nice, while any Glenfiddich is a good place to start out with single malts.

If you want to find a good place to sample some scotch, walk in to a harbor bar. Sailors like their scotches and blended whiskys. The bars I'm most fond of (one in particular at the harbor) all have at least six really top notch scotches.

• 4 weeks later...

In the Scotch variant of whiskys I would have to say the Glenlivet 18.

Others I have had:

Johnnie Walker blue, green and black. I did a blind taste test between the blue and green with some friends, and all of us were able to identify the blue over the green.

Glenfiddich - it's ok, but I don't care for the peaty taste.

I read the above whisky bible and saw one from the Isle of Arran. I was there in 06, but it was a rushed trip. I would have loved to tour a distillery.

I do prefer Irish whisky over most scotch, they have after all, been making it a few hundred years longer. My favorite is Jameson's irish gold. Jameson's also has a nice 18yr blend.

Above whiskey though, I prefer a good tequila. The spectrum of good to bad in the realm of tequila is much wider than it is in whisky. imo tequila is much smoother, has a far more elegant taste. Just don't get the cheap stuff.

Above whiskey though, I prefer a good tequila. The spectrum of good to bad in the realm of tequila is much wider than it is in whisky. imo tequila is much smoother, has a far more elegant taste. Just don't get the cheap stuff.

I agree. I've started drinking more and more premium Tequila's lately and have to say I thoroughly enjoy their flavor. It is true that the range in quality is quite broad.

A good Anejo is incredibly smooth (think Irish whiskey smooth.....only smoother) and the blue Aguave adds a very delicious element.

I finished a 200mi bicycle road trip this weekend and so the first thing to do when back at home to celebrate was to try a Tullamore Dew blended Irish whiskey that I'd bought a few weeks earlier. Not sure if it was thinking about it all weekend or the actual taste but one glass over ice was perfect last night. Being a blend it was only something like $20 a pint. It's definitely a good one to have around to take the edge off the aches and pains of sitting on a stiff Cannondale for 13 hours.