HybridZ

question about driveshaft situation

hron13

Im in process of converting to an r230 out of a 300zxTT, im just wondering what to do about the drivesaft if im using the stock 71 4 speed, and if I convert to using a later 5 speed(will i need a 280z drive shaft)? I just need to know, where should I go online to get a custom shaft if I need one, or if I can continue to use the stock driveshaft.

Just wondering, why all the work for the R230 when you've only got an L31?

At any rate, it's a short nose diff, so you'll need a custom shaft made regardless of transmission. If you're making your own mounts for the diff, make sure you have the pinion angles set correctly or any driveshaft you make will vibrate like there's no tomorrow. You really don't need some fancy custom driveshaft from some far off land. Contact a local, good driveshaft shop. Ask them where to take measurements to and from (usually it's from the centerlines of the u-joints, but some guys like it from centerline of the u-joint to the flange, etc, I've dealt with both). If you've got the correct flanges, they'll need those (remember the 71B transmissions have the same output shafts, but the T5 if you go that route is different). Other than that, just wait a bit and out pops your custom drive shaft.

thanks man, now I have to find a local shop that can do it. but i really want the expandability of the r230, I like the idea that if i want to i can drop an RB or a Ls1 in the car if i get sick of the L series, and the fact that it has an lsd is nice too.