HybridZ

Is there more then one r200 diff carrier?

Guest TurboHatch

Guest TurboHatch

I just purchased a 3.54 r200 off a guy on here with plans to swap my 3.70 r200s LSD over to it, however im not sure if i am understanding what i am reading but it seems i may run into a issue with bolt sizes? So if there are two styles of r200 carriers is there any way i can tell before i yank the rear out of the car or is the only way to tell by pulling it apart and seeing what size bolts are being used? some one said i can use bushings or something like that if the bolts are the wrong size or drill the diff out, can any one please shed light on this so i am properly equipped for doing this. thanks :)

???

Never heard that. I was always told if the ring gear size and the spline count are the same then they are swappable...

Making it possible to either put the lsd in the 3.54 open or take the ring and pinion gears out of the 3.54 and put it in the lsd.

I plan on swapping a lsd in a 3.36 R200...

long nose z31 and short nose R200's have a 12mm ring gear bolt, while the s30 and s130 have 10mm ring gear bolts if I'm not mistaken. Also any R200 rear diff cover will bolt on to any R200 housing, the only thing that changes is the spacing between the mounting studs.

As far as I know.

What Hoov said is correct but ill shed some more light on the subject also. Some say that you need to make some spacers some say you dont. I am currently running a 3.54 out of an 82 zxt with a lsd out of a 300zx and i am actually not using any spacers. The bolts are not what centers the ring gear on the carrier. And the Clamping force is enough to keep the ring gear from spinning. I recently took mine apart and it had not moved and thats with launching hard many times at the strip and doing 12sec passes.

Guest TurboHatch

Thanks for the info guys, and zeeyah nice score on a 3.36 diff i REALLY should have one of those as well, even with the 3.54 i will be spinning past the cams power level if i stay in 4th gear, the entire reason i am swapping is i dont want to have to use 5th gear at the strip.

jeffer949 i know what you mean the OBX in my honda was sort of loose like that and worked fine.

talk about r200. i just finished flipping my z31t axle cages. what a mess. new boots n all installed! im going to stick with the weak 3.54 longnose r200+ z31t axles. hope it handles when the time comes. no lsd. im broke!!!

not to change the subject but when i spin my diff flange for the drive shaft, it has a slight barely noticeable click before it spins the axles. however it is empty and has no oil. is this normal?

Edited by piston
edit