HybridZ

bought a welder and have some ?????'s

LegnaZetr0

okay so i bought my first welder to start doing the restore on my z, i thought it was a mig but i guess its not i did some research its a flux-cored set up so i don't know if thats a separate category. its a lincoln electric 100 weldpak heres a link i want to know if it would be good for putting in new sheet metal and replacing frame rails. thats what i plan on using it for http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/lincoln-electric-weld-pak-100hd-wire-feed-welder-reviews

It can be done but its a little more difficult and you'll have more grinding to clean the welds up after. Follow the instructions that came with your welder, buy a bunch of scrap sheet metal, and practice, practice, practice.

Also, please improve your grammar and punctuation.

You would have a better time with sheet metal if you had gas but it will do the work. I have the same unit and I have done sheet metal with it, no gas.

Learn how to really use the wire-feed speed. I've found that fine-tuning that is the key to getting heat into the welds. Once you learn the unit pretty well you can actually do some nice work even without a gas bottle. At first I used too much speed and it made for lumpy pitted welds. The trick that I finally figured out is that you need to get your speed as low as possible without blowing holes in the metal so that you get a lot of heat in to the joint. With heavy stock that's easy but with sheet you all too often end up with hole so be cautious and play with some scrap first.

If you are still interested in MIG I'm pretty sure you can buy a conversion kit to add gas to that welder. My brother did it with his.

Do you know which kit your brother bought? I have a 220v mig but I'd love to set my little unit up as a mig so that I can do stuff with an extension cord rather than being stuck to the wall with the outlet.

Thanks for all the information guys. As for the grammar, when i come on this forum its in and out I'm a college student full-time plus a full-time job, so sorry if i don't use correct grammar. It's kind of ironic too considering I'm in honor composition classes.

• 1 month later...

I agree with all the advice thats been given. I keep several short pieces of copper pipe in various sizes that have been flattened in a vice. They conform to the panels making a heat sink at the point of the butt weld. Remember the lighter the metal the shorter the stitches. You don't want to warp the panel