HybridZ

MS1-Extra V2.2 w/ ZX VR dizzy easy way?

nosebleedZ

I am doing a N/A to turbo conversion for a friend on hos 81 ZX 2+2 & need some suggestions from the Megasquirt masters. He bought a MS1-Extra V2.2 w/ GM sensors to use with the stock 81 VR dizzy. I know you have to lock out the mechanical & vac advance based on searching here. I found a thread similar to this with Matt Cramer, Moby, & NismoED back in '07 that was discussed with triggering with a V3.0 board, & he eventually ended up w/ a GM 8 pin module to make it work. If someone on here has done this w/ V2.2, please post a diagram if possible with accompanying Megatune settings/ values &/ or a link to a thread I might have overlooked that you participated in that resolves this. I and he really appreciate the input, he is a Z crazy college kid & this will be his first turbo car:)! And a Z to boot! Thanks guys.....

I ran an 81 N/A ZX dizzy with an MS-II 3.0. Granted it was a 3.0 board, but it should be very similar. It was honestly as simple as locking the mechanical and vacuum advance, removing the ignition module and wiring the MS straight to the VR trigger. I believe it's Green wire to ground and red to pin 26??(don't quote me on the pin, it's been a couple years). So long as the MS is configured for VR trigger you should be good.

Configuring a V2.2 board for VR input can be done, but is a bit involved. We have a daughterboard that can do this however:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/zeal_daughterboard_assembly.htm

Or you could just use a HEI module. That's what I would do:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#gm7hei

Good stuff Matt & Naviathan! Let me read these links thoroughly & I will post anymore questions. I've only purchased the pre-assembled units from you Matt, so I need to read up on some of the board mods & what's involved with them to formulate the correct questions. I am @ work right now but I will get back on this evening. Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Matt, after reading through the second link you posted, I am somewhat getting what to do, but it is mostly internal mods on the V2.2 ECU itself. On the internal mods, it shows a jumpering of several items to accomodate the VR control, but I'm honestly having a hard time understanding some of it. Jumper with what exactly? A small guage wire (24 guage?) that will be soldered? Or a designated clip jumper from you? I'm sure I can figure it out, but there is some discussion of the VB921 & it's Bosch replacement not being reliable enough to directly trigger the coil. Naviathan's solution would be ideal if it could be done with an external resistor mod or another module. Could a single 4 pin GM hei module be used to make this work? In the post above by BLOZUP, it shows a dual setup connected to a MS V3 & using a ECCS dizzy. If you or someone else had a diagram like this that would be the ticket. I tried to find that info (diagram of V2.2 +4 pin HEI module+VR N/A dizzy+external resistors+connections), but didn't see it. I will read through it again until you reply. Thanks again.

The jumpers are typically wire, solid core, roughly 18-22 AWG I think.

Here's the pertinent section on getting your 2.2 ready for a VR input:

VR input Sensor wiring for a V2.2 PCB

vr-inputV22.jpg

V2.2 PCB ONLY

DigiKey part numbers:

300R resistor = 330QBK-ND

18K resistor = 18KQBK-ND

39K resistor = 39KQBK-ND

4K7 resistor = 4.7KQBK-ND

1M resistor = 1MQBK-ND

0.01uF Cap = P3103-ND

0.33uF Cap = P10973-ND

330pF Cap = PS1331J-ND

0.1uF Cap = P10967-ND

LM1815N = LM1815N-ND

Farnell part numbers:

300R resistor = 543-251

18K resistor = 543-688

39K resistor = 543-767

4K7 resistor = 543-548

1M resistor = 544-103

0.01uF Cap = 389-0995

0.33uF Cap = 389-1033

330pF Cap = 867-950

0.1uF Cap = 389-1010

LM1815N = 949-3913

Yeah there's a bit of soldering involved either way, but that's the nature of the older boards.

Instead of purchasing all these items & installing them, plus the expense of a $75 7 pin module, wouldn't it just be easier to send the MS1 V2.2 back to Matt & pay him the difference for an MS2 V3.0 like I have in my car? Matt is this a possibility. I & he are looking for the "easiest" route for his car, if there is absolutely no other way to make the 2.2 work w/ the N/A dizzy, besides this, the way Naviathan wired his car w/ MS2V3.0 might be the cheaper & easier option. Whatcha think?

You only need one 7 pin (or 8 pin) HEI module to use a VR dizzy with the V2.2 megasquirt. I did this setup in a few chevy TPI engines. The basics are the same, the dizzy used a VR sensor. The 7 pin HEI picks up that signal and sends a trigger signal to the megasquirt for rpm/tach. The megasquirt controls the 7 pin module to fire the coil.

Look at this picture from the link that Matt gave for the 7 pin:

ew7hei.gif

Edited by mobythevan