HybridZ

r200 spider gear slop

randy 77zt

second diff this has happened to in 10 years.the spider gears seem to have a lot of slop where they run against the diff carrier case-the back side of the spider gears seem to be worn or the inside of the diff carrier is worn.this causes alot of clunking noises when you let off of the throttle.the stub axles seem to move around some too.this is on a 87 clsd rear.the previous 3.54 r200 also did this .the ring and pinion backlash is about .012 to .015"-very good for oem parts.heading out to pick&pull today because i found a complete 86 z31 -it is getting the diff ,cv axles,driveshaft removed.have other members here had this problem?

What I've seen a lot, especially with drag racers or guys who like to do burnouts is that the cross pin shaft wallows out the hole in the carrier. I think this allows misalignment of the gears, which might be interpreted as slop in the gears. Spider gears are normally pretty sloppy feeling IME. That's a general feeling, I don't have a spec to quantify exactly what I mean by that. .012-.015 is a lot of backlash. I thought spec was .004-.008, but I don't have access to the FSM right now to check that. If your diff is messed up, a used one should be a cheaper and easier fix than rebuilding the one you have, but I kinda doubt it is the cause of the clunk unless it's really screwed.

Diff clunk is extremely common. Usually related to one of the following; front mount, mustache bar bushing, U-joints, control arm bushings, loose splines in the stub axles. The first thing to check is the front diff mount, Ron Tyler's mount (made by roostmonkey and Z'sondabrain seems to fix the clunk for a lot of people.

I actually missed the CLSD thing. I wouldn't give up on it yet, and haven't seen any 4 pinion CLSD with damage other than shearing the drive clutch inside teeth off. Seen and heard of 2 pinion CLSD damage, but I think that's because they don't load against the carrier as evenly.