HybridZ

Brake and strut options for 15 in wheels?

I have an early 240 that's basically stock with worn out struts and some random lower, stiff springs. I'm researching what I want in a complete package of wheels, tires, suspension, and steering. I want deep disc 15x8 in wheels for a period correct look and found the XXR 513 to fit my needs. What I want to know is if there are any aluminum caliper/hat options. I was reading a certain site that sells really a expensive Wilwood setup but the FAQ didn't provide any answers, was immature and insulting (one answer was simply "You're an idiot").

I want to reduce unsprung weight and am also looking into the aluminum hubs as well. Any other suspension/brake weight saving options are greatly appreciated.

Also, will I need coil overs for inner clearance with the wheel width? I need wheels and tires now but will have to wait on the rest. I plan on doing the coil overs but don't want to find out the hard way that I need them to clear the wheels.

There is plenty of information on brakes and suspension if you search.

As far as I know the Arizona Z car wilwood kit you were talking about is the cheapest brake kit that uses aluminum components. Modern motorsports makes billet hubs.

There is a lot of tire fitment information on here if you look around, or take some measurements yourself to make sure things will fit. 15x8s with 0 offset might be too wide. I run 15x7s, 0 offset and theyre fairly close to rubbing on the lower spring perch in the front.

I've had that same unpleasant experience, probably with that same vendor. Some 15's fit over the Wilwood brakes, some don't, so you're better off asking "Do Watanabes fit over the AZC brakes?"or "Do Panasports fit over AZC brakes" etc. Don't know if you're into the look, but the Diamond racing steel wheels DO fit with a little bit of clearance, and they're surprisingly light when compared to some of the heavier cast aluminum rims like Panasports. Example, Panasport ULW 15x7 is 16 lbs. Diamond 15x8 is 18 lbs and you can get any backspace you want between 2-5 inches. http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/prochallenger.html Not sure on what offset is necessary with stock suspension, but I know you can get a 15x8 to clear the suspension and the fenders. If you go to coilovers you can get more wheel into a stock fender.

best way would be to buy lighter wheels. or buy less tyre.

Buy less tire? Do you mean go for larger diameter wheels, or just go to a lower profile tire? Rubber weighs less than metal, so having more metal in the wheel will increase unsprung weight even though the tires are of a lower profile.

+1 to diamond racing; while a bit heavier than the xxr, they were 500 shipped to my door and in the size/backspace that i wanted.

when i said run less tyre i meant just that, less tyre. I have 15x10s all around with 225.50-15 tyres; give your tyres some stretch if you are that concerned about unsprung weight. the issue is that since you are indeed running less tyre you will have less potential grip than if you didnt.

Buy less tire? Do you mean go for larger diameter wheels, or just go to a lower profile tire? Rubber weighs less than metal, so having more metal in the wheel will increase unsprung weight even though the tires are of a lower profile.

That's actually not true. Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Hoosier&model=R6&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=25ZR5R6&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D25ZR5R6

If you buy this R6 (LIGHTWEIGHT) racing tire from Hoosier, the 225/45/15 size weighs 19 lbs. That's more than the 15x8 to put it on. The 225/50/15 weighs 22 lbs. So lower profile is lighter, but the tire in this case does weigh more than the entire wheel.

Stretching tires to reduce unsprung weight is a little backasswards. The better way to handle that situation is to buy a rim that fits the tire. A 15x8 wheel will weigh less than a 15x10 and it fits the tire you're using better, so then you don't need to sacrifice the performance of the tire by putting it on a rim that is too wide.

As far as searching goes, I'm currently unemployed and have spent hours, Hours and HOURS of searching. It gets old, and I haven't found what I'm looking for. I have learned a lot in the process though. What's really frustrating is searching through the "Wheels show!" posts, all 51 pages, I see the wheels I want with no other info about wheel/tire size, brake upgrades etc. Plus I need to get to 40 posts so I can sell some spare parts and don't want to just fill the forums with nonsense.

So, per Jons suggestion; Are there any aluminum calipers that fit the 15in XXR 513 wheels? I really hope AZC isn't my only option, but if so, do they fit any 15 in wheels?

While I appreciate the Diamond Wheels suggestions I really don't like the style, they look like circle track wheels. Probably because they are. No offense to anyone running them! I really like the Watanabe/Panasport style but don't want to break the bank. I found the XXR's for $75 each, if they weigh slightly more it's worth the trade off in price. But not if they won't fit the brakes I want. I found a 240 for sale with the XXR wheels and emailed the owner about them. I know the 8in wide, 0 offset fit but I forgot to ask the guy if he had coilovers.

I'm not sure how I would measure everything to see if it will work without having all the new parts in hand. I was hoping someone would chime in saying "I have those wheels and these aluminum calipers work, and didn't need coilovers." That way I can get the wheels and tires now (when I get a job that is) and get to the brakes and suspension after. I'd prefer to do it all at once, but money is always the biggest hurdle.

So, per Jons suggestion; Are there any aluminum calipers that fit the 15in XXR 513 wheels?

Suggestion: get one of the admins to change the title of the thread to this. BTW did you want bigger brakes or JUST aluminum calipers? IIRC the stock caliper is 7 lbs, the Wilwood I'm using is 4, and that's not counting the pads. The Wilwood pads are larger and heavier, and the rotor is heavier for the wilwood setup than a stock setup. You will gain weight over stock with a Wilwood setup.

Jon,

I want better brake performance along with a reduction in unsprung weight. The Wilwood caliper weighs 3 pounds less, the rotors have aluminum hats, and yet the whole package still weighs more than stock? I guess it's true what they say about making assumptions! (on my part at least)

My goal is a great handling and braking street Z that will hold up to an occasional track day. I also live in a rural area with curvy back roads, so my "street" driving is NOT like what you see in the city. It's my second car, so when I drive it it's for fun, not commuting or putting around. With that in mind, I know the stock brakes can be set up with pads that won't fade, but how's the braking distance compared to the Wilwood set up?

That's actually not true. Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Hoosier&model=R6&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=25ZR5R6&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D25ZR5R6

If you buy this R6 (LIGHTWEIGHT) racing tire from Hoosier, the 225/45/15 size weighs 19 lbs. That's more than the 15x8 to put it on. The 225/50/15 weighs 22 lbs. So lower profile is lighter, but the tire in this case does weigh more than the entire wheel.

Stretching tires to reduce unsprung weight is a little backasswards. The better way to handle that situation is to buy a rim that fits the tire. A 15x8 wheel will weigh less than a 15x10 and it fits the tire you're using better, so then you don't need to sacrifice the performance of the tire by putting it on a rim that is too wide.

Ok, I suppose that my statement is not true in all cases, but given a heavier wheel and maintaining a constant diameter you will want less wheel and more tire. This is all very general and should be looked at on a case-by-case basis as JM points out.