HybridZ

MSA "Performance" turbo camshafts

jacob80

That is only ONE 'turbo' Isky grind. It is not the 'only' one. You need to call, talk to Ron, tell him what you want, and you will get a cam ground to YOUR specifications and intended usage.

I suggested long ago that JeffP call and talk to Ron, and NOT tell Ron what he thought about overlap, duration, lift, etc....but to just tell him what he wanted performance-wise, and see what Ron came up with. Jeff was a bit upset when Ron mentioned given his specs on the engine that he 'was down a bit on power' (which was around 500 crankshaft HP at the time...)

Jeff P thought that a bit arrogant. Until he ran it on the dyno and made 650+RWHP with the same components, save the cam change...

What one person gets from Isky will not necessarily be what someone else gets. For the same price as the others, you can get a specifically engineered camshaft solution for YOUR particular application with a specific lift, duration, split duration, and lobe center. To me it's a no-brainer...

Tony, I think there is at least a couple Isky L6 turbo cams. I'll see if I can back my claim up with some data. I run an Isky and have been very happy. Stay tuned...

Here are some Isky cam cards for reference. The first is my cam and the others are from folks I've run across over the years. Notice the cam timing on my cam vs the other 7181 is different. Very odd. Maybe 7181 is for drilled cams and 7151 is for external oiled cams. L490 grind number also doesn't seem to be a consistent grind either if you look at the catalog and other cam cards.

My Isky 7181

MyIsky7181.jpg

Another Isky 7181

ISKY7181NotMine.jpg

Isky 7151

ISKY7151.jpg

Edited by jgkurz

As Ron said when Frank asked "So which one here in the catalog should I choose?"

"Oh, we have many other grinds, you want one bigger than those..."

Basically the catalog is for someone looking for a 'formula' engine, where someone else bought it and generally they know what they think they want for a camshaft.

When an engineer discusses a project with someone, and then runs a program that takes in bore, stroke, intended rpm, port flow from the head porter....well, you might get a 1 or 2 degree shift in timing of the cam...

Couple of degrees makes a BIG difference in how the torque band is evidenced from the engine. Can make the difference of 1500-2000 more rpms in the torque band.

Custom for the cost of off the rack. Seems like a no-brainer to me! :D