HybridZ

Motor wants to turn over after its off

Stock '73 Z. When I turn off my car, the motor will shudder and it sounds like its trying to turn over...I have no clue. I have a separate switch for the fuel pump, so it couldn't be something like fuel still getting in, and it'll only do it for about 5 or 6 seconds then stop.

@arizona: I've used Seafoam before on my previous cars and it gave good results. I was thinking that or carb cleaner.

@jaybee: Ah, that would probably make sense using 91. But I don't have any manuals so I wouldn't know and I've only had this Z for a month heh. Out here in Cali the highest grade we have is 91 but there are a couple pump stations that sell 105 for a ridicoulous price (the lowest I've seen 91 is $3.19 bleh).

Anyways, I was planning to use 91 in my new motor (I'm having a L28 bored to 3.1 built etc. put in as we speak). Additionally, has anyone had experience with "octane booster"? Whenever I see it on the shelf of autozone I instantly think "ricer", but like anything, there could be some good to it.

Blitz, if you are having a stroker being built and eventually being put in, and you have determined that the current motor is dieseling and not some sort of electrical/EFI issue, why bother troubleshooting/fixing?

Not sure if this is also your daily driver, but me personally, I would take this time to sort through your car and make sure that everything else is up to snuff. That way, once your new motor is finished and installed, you wont have another million things on your mind that needs to get addressed before you feel comfortable taking it on the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the consideration T-Bone. While I am having a new motor put in, I'm just the kind of guy thats simply curious when something doesn't work right. It is my daily, and TRUST ME I'm taking all time I need while it's down to go over and replace/refresh everything.

Hopefuly you read the link I posted.

Run on/dieseling is caused by many factors. IT IS THE SUM,of all the possible causes. Usualy, there is not one cause. Engine temp/high idle/low octane/carbon build up/high compression/lean fuel mixture/ etc. ......all have a cumulative effect to cause this malady.

This is one reason, why idle kickers were put on early 70's cars to maintain idle speed.Turn off ignition, throttle closed, not enough air for engine run on.