HybridZ

cold start problem

After spending some money putting back together my intake, I came across a new problem. Pretty sure the problem is electrical, something to do with either the air auxiliary regulator, the themrotime switch, the cold start valve, the air flow sensor, or any of the wires connecting each to the ECU. My car will barely not start when its cold, takes about 4-5 cranks with my foot on the gas the whole time to get it to start. whens its started, it idles very inconsistently, starts out around 800, then drops down to 400 and pops up to 500 and back down, then will come up to 1000-1100 for a moment before starting that cycle over. If i try to push in the gas at this point the car will usually start to die, and pops from the intake by back firing. itll struggle to go up in rpms for a few seconds then shoot up to where it should be. if i let off the gas it just goes back down to its shitty idling. once the car warms up for 4-5 minutes, its drivable and idles fine, yet still periodically backfires when i take off in first or down shift to a low gear and gas it. (only when around 1500-2000 rpms) Just asking if anyone has a hint as to what kind of tool I can use to determine if there is continuity in the lines going to the ECU, when/what to hook it up to and look for. I have yet to replace all the wires, I am in college and don't have much monies. thanks yall!

I have the same exact car and had the same exact car.

What I had to do was replace the Air Flow Meter, Thermostat, get the proper new thermostat housing sensors and housing, spark plugs.

Do the easiest thing first, AFM and Spark plugs.

lol and I'm 16 and broke aswell, it was about $250 for the shop to do all that and re do half of the wiring that the P.O. did,

also highly advise getting the E12-80 Distributor upgrade and the Maxifuse block (fusible link) upgrade, made it alot smoother.

Edited by Two80z4me

So you had a similar problem to mine?

Well I just got my spark plugs replaced about a month ago to high end NKG plugs. thanks

yeah, very Identical problem except for my car would start then Idle crappy and sometimes just barely start and idle really ruff with my foot on the gas at about 400rpm.

and yeah, I had brand new NGK's and if its getting that much fuel from you holding down the gas it can fould plugs really quick.

Check and clean the connection on your water temp sensor. Its right next to the thermo time switch. I bet thats what your problem is.

This was actually the first thing I did, noticed a nice green color and now it actually feels a bit loose...hmm thanks man, ill check that out right away.