HybridZ

Stub Axle Companion Flange

Okay to start off i have a 73 240z and i'm doing a five lug swap and a rear disc conversion. I took the stub axle companion flange off, knocked out the stub axle, then completely stripped the rear drum setup. I did not however check the companion flange with the new MMS re drilled stub axle. Which are from a 280z, i though they were the same, but the splines on each are different. On to the question. If i get the 280z companion flange will the 240z half shaft bolt up to it or do i have to bite the bullet and swap in a whole r200 and half shafts. I really wish i can just use the 280z companion flanges and my 240z half shafts will bolt right up. Im going out to pick n pull at 8am tomorrow to go look at a 280z. And i need to have my car running by 2:30pm for work or im ******. So please hyrbidz help me out.

Also will the 260z companion flange work with the 280z stub axles.

-Carfan

According to posts 2 & 3 in the following thread, the halfshaft will bolt up to the 280z companion flange.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/20513-should-i-replace-by-240-stub-axles/page__p__151820__hl__stub%20axle%20upgrade__fromsearch__1entry151820

Thanks for the link just what i needed, now all i have to do is go and pull them hopefully the car is not surrounded by water.

Edited by CArFAn

New question with problem. I got the bearings packed and installed into the housing along with the mms re drilled five lug stub. Put on the companion flanges went to the fsm and it says i need to torque down the stub axle nut to 181-200+ ft/lbs and my torque wrench only goes up to 150ft/lbs. I called around and no one has one that high and to keep from going to shops can i torque it down to 150ft/lbs then use a breaker bar with lets say a jack handle and put a few more ft/lbs on it 181-200+ is a wide range so i cant really go over and i would just be under by a tad if anything.

Random thought why is it called a torque wrench and its a ratchet?

Got everything torqued and cleaned up. Went to look for my brake lines to put them on and i found 1 and went back out side to see my chewing on something. As i got closer i realized what it was my friggin brake line. So i made my own ebrake adapters crossed the lines installed the calipers, rotors, and pads. I went back gathered all my old parts to box up and the stock stub axles had a washer or shim laying next to each of them that i didn't see. Im guessing the went between the bearing and the companion flange and i did not transfer them over, not that they would fit becuase the 280z is larger i dont think it will cause any problems so im going to drive it around after i get another brake line and see how it goes.