HybridZ

making a vg30 swap into my 73, cali legal?

hoov100

Alright, I got a question for the cali smog guru's on this forum. I'm planning on tossing a vg30et from an 88 z31 turbo into my 73 240z. Now the 73 is exempt from smog testing, but not the smog laws themselves, but I don't wanna get popped by the CHP for having an engine swap. Which brings me to my question.. I want to have it BAR, CHP..etc certified with the pretty little reflective sticker and all, but Will i then have to smog every other year as the motor is from an 88, or will it remain as a 73?

I think I'm gonna have to call a cali smog ref on this.

Hey, Hoov, I found the Ref station in Indio to be very helpful. Of course that was ten years and three engines ago, but they provided me with a very specific list of what I needed. I think that it would be to your benefit to bring these guys in at the very beginning. Like they know your car before you pull in... establish some rapport... offer them a ride in that Chevy at the next Palm Springs Corvette club autocross.

G

I'm not sure about cali law, but here in NJ you're allowed to put a newer motor in your car. As far as emissions goes a fuel injected motor will have less emissions than a L series carburated with no cat... that and newer motors are designed to keep up with anticipated emissions standards years from the date of manufacture...