HybridZ

Adapting Z32 (300zx) parts into a S30 (240z)

I have a cousin who is giving me his 1990 300zx NA that had an electric fire. So its basically a rolling Chassis.

Can any of the parts off the 1990 300zx be used on a 1971 240z.

I dont want to haul his junk home if I cant use it...

I was thinking that perhaps I could use the differential off of it. Or perhaps do a 5 lug conversion(if it was worth it)..

Thanks for the help..

Yes the diff will work you will have to get some parts off a 280zx to make it work.

Also if you want to use the calipers that shouldn't be to hard. 5 lug can be done but other than that you might use the 5spd if you want a stronger trans, you could adapt the fuel pump, master cylinder and the seats. That's about all that I can think of that I could use from a Z32.

Do a little look in the parts section to see what you might get for trades or a part out.

Nothing from a z32 will be direct bolt on, except for the battery and the taillight wiring harness, the diff needs custom mounts/axles and adapters to be used in the s30. the 5 lug front hubs don't match up to the s30 spindle as far as I know, the calipers need custom adapters/lines the trans will bolt on with the custom adapter..etc..etc If you have a grinder and a welder and are resourceful, you can make anything from the z32 fit..

Yes the diff will work you will have to get some parts off a 280zx to make it work.

Also if you want to use the calipers that shouldn't be to hard. 5 lug can be done but other than that you might use the 5spd if you want a stronger trans, you could adapt the fuel pump, master cylinder and the seats. That's about all that I can think of that I could use from a Z32.

Do a little look in the parts section to see what you might get for trades or a part out.

i dont mean to bash, but you are making it sound too easy haha. as the others have said it would take a lot of custom work/fab to make many of those parts listed "work" on the s30. of course it is possible, but nothing is going to be a true "bolt-on" swap as i think you are looking for.

I'd keep the transmission, differential, brakes and hubs if you plan to make a powerful car (400+hp). You're looking at about $700 (give or take) to get a custom bellhousing adapter and driveshaft for the Z32 tranny to work, $500 for the Modern Motorsports R200/R230 diff mount (you'll need to source 4 Q45 axles so I hear; that can also get pricey). The Z32 brakes can be adapted I think, but if not you can sell them for decent money as they get swapped on 240sx's all the time. If you're not planning on having more than say 300hp, you might be better off selling the diff and transmission and buying a T5 and R200 diff. The T5 only needs a custom driveshaft and the R200 requires only a 280Z diff mount and a pair of 280ZXT or Z31 turbo axles, making it a cheaper yet still durable option.

Edited by MazterDizazter

Yes I was just giving a list of what I would use from a Z32. Those would be the things that I "thought" would be possible to mod to a S30. Not a bolt on swap list. But I guess a little more clarification was necessary.

Thanks

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Yes I was just giving a list of what I would use from a Z32. Those would be the things that I "thought" would be possible to mod to a S30. Not a bolt on swap list. But I guess a little more clarification was necessary.

Thanks

Sorry if there was any confusion.

its no problem, i just didnt want the poor guy thinking he could just swap over stuff. too bad it isn't that easy huh?

its no problem, i just didnt want the poor guy thinking he could just swap over stuff. too bad it isn't that easy huh?

Seriously! lol. I've got the Z32 tranny adapted to my L series, but it cost a pretty penny. I wanted to run an R230 but it was even more expensive than swapping in an R200 CLSD, which has still cost me over $1200... However I now have the piece of mind that my drivetrain can take anything I throw at it, I picked up an extra forward gear, I can launch better and drift better thanks to the LSD, and I ditched the crappy U-joint axles for Z31 turbo CV axles, which will transfer more power more smoothly.