HybridZ

how-to do filled in headlights??

Hey gang,

I was looking through the MSA pics and there were a couple cars ( they were grey and white) that had the stock headlight locations completely filled in. The white one had 4 square headlamps where the grille would be.

I LIKE THAT LOOK! icon_biggrin.gif

Are the fenders aftermarket with the buckets filled in or is this custom body work? I would really like to have my 71 done that way if its not to costly.

Jason

Jason, those can be one of two things:

First, they can be those plastic headlight covers that are then glassed/bondo'd in over the buckets, thus making it look like a "solid" front end.

Second, they can be fiberglass quarterpanels that the maker decided to nix the headlight buckets completely and keep the "solid" look.

The covers are the cheapest way to go IMO. Look for the covers in the MSA catalog, you won't miss them.

David

OK, thanks guys. I thought about glassing over some headlight covers as soon as i saw it.

Dan Juday~ Thanks for the link. The kit looks to be the one i saw from the MSA show. I couldnt even find their address tho and they look kinda chincy. The kit looks like what i want tho. Anyone on the board have a filled light kit they wanna sell me cheap? icon_biggrin.gif

Jason

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Racin_Jason ]

Guest Anonymous

Aren't the buckets in the Z made of plastic or glass? Reason I ask is one of mine is cracked looking and it appears to be a whitish plastic, god would someone have actually bondo'ed it? More investigation required, no bondo on the fender, although it looks like it had a small encounter with something on that fender.

Lone

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

I got a reply back from Showcars once when I was inquiring about the IMSA kit (flares and front dam), I can't recall the price. I just wish they had some photo's, they have some rather rinky dink drawings of they're kits. I'd like to see a better idea of what I'm getting. Oh well, not sure I want to go that wide on the fenderwells anyway.

Another Fiberglass body parts place is : www.smoothline.com there stuff looked pretty good and they have most of the panels available in fiberglass.

Lone

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, as Davy said, the covers from MSA would work. If you want them totally filled, you could still use the covers and then just glass over the whole thing. Or use the foam block and carve it so it fits the inside of the headlight bucket, then shape the outside and glass over it.

Regards,

Lone

My $.02 worth is to find the aftermarket fiberglass buckets I've seen, then foam and glass the cover onto them. As I mentioned earlier, the "bonded on" glass onto your steel buckets will most likely not be a permanent fix, but glass on glass will last forever.

Terry

The original headlight buckets were all metal. If you have a rpelacement bucket made of glass, then it replaced the metal factory unit and says something about the life the car has had... If you have glass buckets on your car, it has most likely been hit in the nose at on time or another...

Mike Kelly

Guest John Adkins

Mike, my early '71 240Z (with vents in the hatch) has fiberglass headlight buckets, and they are factory original according my father-in-law, the original owner....

My 71 has metal buckets.....

I had a link to a guy's zcar site (broken link now)- he had a V8 conversion. Anyway, he had done the MSA cover thing and painted over them. But then he could not get the car to pass his state inspection. Apparently they said the lights in the grill were too low or something. So, he had to convert it back.

So, with that in mind, I'd go with the fiberglass buckets, fill them in, then mount them. Save your old buckets so you can put them back on if you need to (in case you move or sell the car). Won't look <i>as</i> smooth, but might save you some hassle.

I THINK the early cars had glass and that they went to metal later. I've got a couple pair of them around though as my last car needed them badly. I've got a pair of new metal ons, a fiberglass liteweight replacemrnt, and at least one of the OEM style glass or plastic ones in so so shape. You can find buckets on E-bay pretty easy icon_smile.gif

Eric at ZParts says Nissan used metal and plastic buckets but NEVER FIBERGLASS (don't mean to shout)(huh, how do I underline). It came up because when I pulled mine off I had one of each.

Back on the subject, I know I've seen filled fiberglass buckets by themselves out on the web somewhere. I'll look around and post what I find.

Guest Drewz

icon_biggrin.gif Showcars does sell these items and they are of good quality as a z in Winnipeg east of me had them and I spoke to the cars owner. They were about 70.00 canadian funds.

The headlight bucket issue is another thing. The latter buckets are not considered fiberglass but were made out of what is called SMC ( sheet moulded compound) and looks similar to fiberglass but supposedly has a better structure.

Just my big mouth chiming in here icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for clearing that up, I looked at both buckets on my 72 and as you said, they're not really fiberglass, but are some sort of plastic material but are not steel for sure. Oh well. Thanks.

Lone

That is interesting because I had two dealerships tell me that the fiberglass units were always used as replacements only, and Nissan didn't have a stock number on them until mid 1981. Prior to that it was all sheetmetal.... Who knows.. I was told this back in 1994 when I was looking for the fiberglass units and wanted the Nissan units, assuiming that they would be better quality...

Anyone else care to shed some light on this one???

Mike icon_confused.gif

The answer lies in Wick Humble's book on restoring your Datsun Z car...He has a paragraph or two about restoring the buckets and makes reference to the metal ones. Sorry, I can't look it up, I'm at work!

David

Guest Drewz

The front ends of the 80's caprices and crown vic's around the grille area were all made like that but shattered or cracked real easy. Good idea short term for material but maint. and repair is poor to say the least. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Juday:

Boy that was quick.

Oh wait, this is that grouch isn't it. I'll keep looking.

I had been considering this mod do to recent pics from shows and this post intrigued me. After looking at what I have I also have both. Strange. Well, I figured, I "might as well" do this now since I am doing body work. Assuming that MR. Friendly isn't rude if I call him, do you think I would get hit with the $1K minumum order for fiberglass products? Has anyone installed these from Arizona Zcar? Do they mount in the same fashion or are they made to be molded to other fiberglass body moldings that they supply? I know a picture says a thousand words, but I guess I'm not listening.