HybridZ

85 300zx trans into a 75 280z

galloguy05

I have tried searching but I cannot find a straight answer. I found a 5 speed from an 85 300zx at the local pick n pull and I was just wondering if this swaps into a 75 with the stock l28e. I have the stock 4 speed in it now but I really want a 5th gear for the gas mileage. So does this swap or would I need an adapter and different driveshaft?

Thanks

Dude.. Look at the back of a Vg on google images and then look at the back of your l28. you want better gas mileage? keep your foot out of it, shift early, be smooth and be on the gas just enough to keep your speed consistent.

I meant for gas mileage on the freeway. Also so that way I'm not at around 4500 to stay at 65 or 70 on the highway. I'm perfectly fine with the gas mileage on regular roads but I have heard that keeping the revs that high for any extended amount of time is bad for the L6. I do not hot rod the car at all, I just do not want my freeway driving to kill the engine and was wondering if the trans out of the 85 would work is all since I can get it pretty easily and for cheap.

But now that I think about it more, you are right. I guess there's a reason that it isn't covered much. I didn't think about it being a V6 before posting. (dumb move on my part i know) Lack of sleep and the thought of an easy score clouded my judgment. Sorry for the dumb quesion. ;)

You have an L28E. No reason to need the strength of a late model 300ZX trans. Want better gas mileage? Get a 280ZX NA trans (search for ID info) (the later 5 speed), you're in CA so they should be around to be found for cheap. It's a whole lot easier to bolt in and you'll get a nice tall 5th.

I love it when someone says that a transmission from this won't fit the engine from that.

It's all in how much work you want to do.

And to those who think the 240SX trans is the only way...it's not. The FS5W71C trans came in a LOT of cars, not just the 240SX.

If you have a stock S30, And don't have an L28E or ET five-speed available, then the EASIEST, LEAST WORK option is to get the FS5W71C transmission from an 87+ 200SX. Swap the front case off your four-speed by changing the countershaft bearing, and enlarging the shift hole in the front case. Clearance for the gears. Bolt trans back together. Stock driveshaft fits, and for some versions of the S30 chassis, all you do is flip the transmission mount backwards and re-drill the two mounting holes as far forward on the mount as possible. Done.

The same front case swap can be done on a C box from a Z31 non-turbo, 200SX, Xterra 2WD, 720/D21/Frontier pickup, 240SX, and a few others.

Before you go on and grab the first C box you find, take a look at your rear end ratio, and then find the transmission that has the overdrive gear you want.

For me, with a stock 3.36 rear end gear, I used the '87 200SX primarily because it fit with the stock driveshaft, but also because the .813 overdrive was well fit for my rear end gearing and tire height.

Edited by Xnke

Yeah I have been looking for a 280zx NA trans but I cant find anyone local or within a few hours drive wanting to sell one. Every time I go to pick n pull the trans is either gone or its a 4 speed. I'll just have to be patient i suppose. My 4 speed is still really strong and the syncros are nice and firm so its not like I desperately need one to be able to drive my car. I have a buddy that has a 240sx that just got totaled. If he plans on getting a whole different car I am going to try and get the power plant outta that from him just for the transmission, since it was a front end collision.

I found a few on craigslist just now but one is only a parts car and I cant take it since i am moving at the end of the month. The other has a stuck gear. I have no experience on transmission repair so I'm going to have to pass that one up as well. I'll just have to keep my eyes open like everyone else I suppose. haha

• 6 months later...

Xnke,

I just rolled thru Bowling Green 2 days ago from Texas to Ohio. Nice area.

Just tore my drive train out last weekend and I'm a newbie.

Question for you on the post below - I've been digging around for a 5 speed to go into a 77 280 but limited options.

Was excited to see your post on the 200SX.

Any pics or further details on the countershaft bearing and the shift hole enlargement.

Thanks

Tony

I love it when someone says that a transmission from this won't fit the engine from that.

It's all in how much work you want to do.

And to those who think the 240SX trans is the only way...it's not. The FS5W71C trans came in a LOT of cars, not just the 240SX.

If you have a stock S30, And don't have an L28E or ET five-speed available, then the EASIEST, LEAST WORK option is to get the FS5W71C transmission from an 87+ 200SX. Swap the front case off your four-speed by changing the countershaft bearing, and enlarging the shift hole in the front case. Clearance for the gears. Bolt trans back together. Stock driveshaft fits, and for some versions of the S30 chassis, all you do is flip the transmission mount backwards and re-drill the two mounting holes as far forward on the mount as possible. Done.

The same front case swap can be done on a C box from a Z31 non-turbo, 200SX, Xterra 2WD, 720/D21/Frontier pickup, 240SX, and a few others.

Before you go on and grab the first C box you find, take a look at your rear end ratio, and then find the transmission that has the overdrive gear you want.

For me, with a stock 3.36 rear end gear, I used the '87 200SX primarily because it fit with the stock driveshaft, but also because the .813 overdrive was well fit for my rear end gearing and tire height.