HybridZ

What tool for honing 240Z strut tubes?

I have some Konis on the way and I will need to at minimum get the paint off of the inside of the tubes to fit them in my 240's struts. What tools have people used to get this done? I've tried to do some searching, but came up with very little.

I thought about a flapper style sanding drum, but haven't been able to find one. Does such a thing exist in the 1.75" size?). I've also thought of using a flex hone and can find those in the right size, but I don't know if it will be effective at taking off enough material... I'm almost sure they're just used to smooth out cylinders, not remove much material. Anyways, I haven't found anything suitable for the task at any hardware stores in my area (Lowe's, Ace, Harbor Freight).

What are your recommendations?

I have some Konis on the way and I will need to at minimum get the paint off of the inside of the tubes to fit them in my 240's struts. What tools have people used to get this done? I've tried to do some searching, but came up with very little.

I thought about a flapper style sanding drum, but haven't been able to find one. Does such a thing exist in the 1.75" size?). I've also thought of using a flex hone and can find those in the right size, but I don't know if it will be effective at taking off enough material... I'm almost sure they're just used to smooth out cylinders, not remove much material. Anyways, I haven't found anything suitable for the task at any hardware stores in my area (Lowe's, Ace, Harbor Freight).

What are your recommendations?

Abrasive media blasting with an aggressive media. Clean those strut tubes out. That's generally all I've needed to do if I make sure I weld the shortened strut tubes together perfectly straight with no drop through.

Hey bro I just got done doing this. I used a brake cylinder hone. It is like a engine block piston hone, three arms with stones on the end, except it is smaller and will fit in the strut tube. I got it from harborfreight. It just goes on a drill. Depending on how much material you need to take off, it should not take long. Took me about 3 min of work. The stones do wear out and HF sells replacement stones too. Good luck.

post-2540-12682757056963_thumb.jpg

Edited by jkgts1

Hey bro I just got done doing this. I used a brake cylinder hone. It is like a engine block piston hone, three arms with stones on the end, except it is smaller and will fit in the strut tube. I got it from harborfreight. It just goes on a drill. Depending on how much material you need to take off, it should not take long. Took me about 3 min of work. The stones do wear out and HF sells replacement stones too. Good luck.

What size hone did you pick up? I saw those there, but wasn't sure how much good they'd do. I think I only saw like 1 1/8" and 3" or something (one too big, one too small anyways).

I'll probly try just cleaning them out like previously suggested and then try a hone if that doesn't work.

What size hone did you pick up? I saw those there, but wasn't sure how much good they'd do. I think I only saw like 1 1/8" and 3" or something (one too big, one too small anyways).

I'll probly try just cleaning them out like previously suggested and then try a hone if that doesn't work.

It is the 1 1/8" one. It pretty much kept me from taking the paint of the cartridge, but it makes the inside nice and smooth.

Or you can do what I did.  Cut a slit in the end of a broomstick, fold up some emery cloth.  Slide it into the slot and wrap it around the stick a few times.  Insert stick into housing and rotate and slide.   Cleaned out enough gunk/rust/paint to make the Tokicos fit easily.

Or you can do what I did.  Cut a slit in the end of a broomstick, fold up some emery cloth.  Slide it into the slot and wrap it around the stick a few times.  Insert stick into housing and rotate and slide.   Cleaned out enough gunk/rust/paint to make the Tokicos fit easily.

Nice. I've been thinking of a way to build something like that to attach to my drill. If I come up with anything good I'll post it, but that's not a bad way to go.