HybridZ

SU Carb issues - could use local expertise

My Z has been getting progressively worse over the last month or so. Sputtering under load, stalling, cutting out under throttle application off idle, backfiring...I thought it was the ignition(which is a hacked-in Chrysler electronic ignition setup), but now I'm turning a stinkeye on the carbs(4-screw SUs). The carbs passed some basic tests, but I still suspect them for a few reasons - different resistance rates, dies when you raise the pistons, etc.

I'm toying with the idea of a ZX distributor and the little E12-80 'brain box'. However, the original wiring is such a mess, I'm not really sure where to start. I'm not even sure it's the ignition any more.

I could really use some help from someone local who knows these cars inside and out. If I have to pay them, I will. I'm in the Fairfield / Vacaville / Suisun, CA area.

Edited by capt_furious

Okay, I think I figured it out. The dashpots are leaking excessively. I just added oil to them and the car drove great.

When I add oil, it will leak down into the intake. I think the oil is leaking out over a number of days. Is there a quick fix for this? Just a set of gaskets, perhaps?

Not sure if they have gaskets in them didnt see it, but i know there is a spring inside them. Here is my story with mine hope it helps.

A few days ago my z w/ 4screw su's and e12-80 dizzy was doing the same thing. I changed everything from the plugs, cap, rotor, and fuel filter ran the car for a day and happened again. I pulled the carbs and took the tops off where noticed that the atf i had put in them (i was told its okay) had run out and they were dry causing them to drop really fast. I cleaned the carbs really good with carb cleaner, cleaned the floats pretty much every where i could get the carb cleaner nozzle into. Put them back together and filled them up a bit with the atf and the car ran even better. Once again few days later it was worse than ever. I couldn't make it over 35mph and cut off at every light. So i parked it and sat in a chair staring at the car and i thought let me pull the fuel pump and see what it looks like inside. I popped the top off it and bam! filled with 30yr old crud it was so caked up inside the filter it was impossible to tell there was a filter actually in side it. So i cleaned it out shook and drained the tank.I then bought 3 gallons of 100 octane and 6 gallons of 91, filled it up and had the best day of my z driving life. Been running great ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally gave up and took the car to Petaluma Auto Works. Bernard ripped out the hacked-in Chrysler 'Orange Box' electronic ignition and replaced it with a Petronix Ignitor in a 240 distributor, then put a tune on it. Car runs beautifully now. Most of the added wiring was in lousy shape and done poorly, causing all sorts of issues.

There comes a point that you just have to admit to yourself that you don't have what it takes, and it's time to hand the darn thing off to someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

Edited by capt_furious