HybridZ

What Dash Is In This S30

DEVIL-Z 1973

no it is not. the s13 dash is 54" long (from memory) and the 240z is 50." I have a black, want to trade for tan, 240sx dash sitting in the back of the 240z almost ready to be put in. Once it comes time to swap it in there will be lots of pictures on the process and mounting options.

glad you found that photo though, I have been looking for it. I really like his placement of the prop valve and bias adjuster. Interesting use of the fiberglass(?) trim along the top; seems that he isnt running a defroster.

Take this as it is; my opinion, but I've seen the 240sx dash in a couple Z's so far. Why would you want that thing? its just so... boring. It completely lacks the character of the original dash, and looks like it belongs in a utilitarian econocar. Unless your dash is really that shot and you have an S13 dash worth hacking apart,the question is why? I'm curious to see.

well... weight is an issue as well. the stock dash and all of its randomness is pretty heavy (i want to say like 20+lbs), and the skin from the 240sx is only like 7-8ish. So if you are gonna call function/form, weight wins.

Well if it were me in that case and I wanted to lose as much weight as possible, I'd just fab a lighter dash. :-P

• 1 month later...

I placed a S30 dash into a S130, Did not get to bolt it in. But a few of the S30 dash mounts did line up with the S130. Unfornatly, i scored a sweet black S130 dash, so i won't be going with the S30. But the S30 is 1 inch shorter then the S30. with the mounts lined up, it left almost exactly a half inch on both sides.

Is the 240SX dash a direct fit for a S30?

no, and the car you posted is Vildini's shop car. Or at least used to be, not sure if its still running. I know they sold alot of the parts off that Z and swapped the SR20 into a 350Z drift car.

Also, if you want that shop to do it for you it is NOT cheap.

Why would you want that thing? its just so... boring.

IMO I think some people think that having the same thing as everyone else in their scene is "boring." They wanna be that one guy at the local Z show that has something different that will bring people to his car to gawk and stare thus giving him a sense of self worth. Personally I agree with you, I think the Z looks best when she has an original dash and center console. But then again, the Z that has the R33 interior is pretty damn sexy and I think pretty much every Z guy would agree with me. But he did a complete interior swap, center console, dash, door panels, and after market seats.

A full trim 240sx dash isn't that much lighter then a 280z dash. Only a few pounds because of the steel substructure of the z dash verses the plastic substructure of the sx dash

And the z dash is far nicer if your considering to fit an sx dash to your car cus your oe dash is cracked it's easier just to fix your z dash

Edited by rise

A full trim 240sx dash isn't that much lighter then a 280z dash. Only a few pounds because of the steel substructure of the z dash verses the plastic substructure of the sx dash

And the z dash is far nicer if your considering to fit an sx dash to your car cus your oe dash is cracked it's easier just to fix your z dash

I would love to see how you came to that conclusion. The shells alone are almost at a 7 pound difference. and even with the stock s13 gauges and wiring harness, it's still almost a 13 pound difference between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're gonna go through all that trouble and want to save weight, I'd fab an S30 dash out of CF or FG. I've seen some really nice FG dashes out there, for relatively cheap. The one thing that's cool about the 240sx is if you get the HUD out of it.

if you're going to go to the trouble of putting a silvia dash into a zed atleast go for what is easily the nicest one (and i assume the rarest in america so will have people scratching their heads a bit) out of an s15 - it also looks the most like a 240z dash with people often replacing the centre vents for guages

atc_interior2b.jpg