HybridZ

The Guttless Wonder

So I gave up on getting the car running myself and sent it off to a shop here in Vegas. They got it running but now it is going by the name Gutless Wonder. It sounds kinda strange (at least compared to stock) and doesnt have anywhere near the power it should. I have the AZC 4 barrell intake and the 6-into-2 headers with twice pipes exaust. I am including some pics and some video to give all you helpfull folks a better idea of what may be wrong. If you know what I need to do to get the power back, i.e. change around vacuum lines or whatever, please let me know.

My baby

post-992-12697371577145_thumb.jpg

vacuum lines into carb & intake

post-992-12697372266488_thumb.jpg

First off, your vacuum hoses look all wrong.

You have intake manifold vacuum going to evap/return/canister/purge?, with no solenoid. Cap the vacuum tap on the left of the manifold and plug the hose.

The vacuum to the advance unit seems to be plumbed to both intake and ported vacuum. I've never seen that.(notice the y fitting). Choose one or the other. Make sure base timing is correct.(no hose connected to advance.( make sure mechanical advance is free and not siezed)

I may be incorrect on this (opinions vary), but I'm a fan of ported vacuum to the advance.(Side of carb I believe.)

Seeing this mess,I wouldn't be surprised the ignition timing,and or the float levels are off.

Me thinks you had an amateur working on your car, and not a knowledgeable professional.

As a note: when the ignition timing is retarded,It sounds odd/wrong....also no power :rolleyes:

Edited by jasper

Thanks Jasper. I'm rather new to doing all this (painfully obvious, I'm sure) so could you possibly show with the pic where I should move the vacuum lines to and which ones to block off? And also where and how to adjust the timing? As for the amatuer working on my car... I wouldn't be surprised. But it could also be a way for me to pay them more since they said they could do the tuning to get it running like it should. Thank you very much for the help.

at-jefft, that is a vacuum line. The second fuel line has been blocked off.

Still working on getting that video to load.

First video

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34541507@N02/4467971677/

Second video

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34541507@N02/4468012891/

By the way, in the second video, that's not going easy. I was trying to go quickly but as you can see from the tach, that wasn't what happened :cry2: . Hope this helps some more. Thanks again for the help.

Should be in your FSM. But, warm it up (makes it idle better), pull the vacuum lines to the advance, loosen the screw on the dizzy base, and rotate to get correct timing. Toss on a dwell meter and set to somewhere 'bouts 8 degrees advance.

OH yeah,

the full chronology of events would be helpful.

Start when the car was running well, and the changes that occured thereafter....... :D

What he said!!!

Also is this an early 260Z? Nowdays you cannot tell with bumpers being switched etc.

What ignition are you using?

Edited by srgunz

Thanks for the replys fellas. I did change the vacuum lines & that helped a little. I'll take some pics in the morning to see if they are where they should be.

So the chronology of this is:

I bought and installed the AZC intake about a year ago. During the install some small tubes ( I'm assuming they are for emissions) were cut off the exaust manifold. Got the new intake finished. It ran really strong but had some slight backfiring because of the missing exaust parts (again, just assuming). I got some new brakes that made it necessary to get bigger rims & tires (225s on 16in rims) so they would fit. Still ran well with no noticeable loss from the larger rubber. I decided I needed to fix the exaust so I bought the 6 into 2 headers and twice pipes exaust from msa.

As soon as I got the exaust installed, I couldn't get it to stay running. It would start but had to be given more & more gas to stay running. After about a week or 2 it just stopped turning on @ all. It sat for about 6 months before I got it to a shop about 2 weeks ago. It took them a week to find anything to go on.$475 later, they said the problem was spark plugs that weren't for the car and bad gas. As far as I know, they drained the tank, replaced the spark plugs and did a little adjusting to the carb. I'm guessing that meant leaning it out a /it because they said the carb is way too much for the engine. They said there is tuning that needs to be done to get it to run like it should. I went to pull out onto the street and just about cried for how weak it was. Moved some of the vacuum lines as suggested and did the timing (not very accurately I'm afraid). This helped a little but not much.

So that's basically it. I hope this sheds some more light on what may be going on with. If anyone lives in Vegas and wouldn't mind helping in person, I would be extremely greatful.

I will be out there in July if you still need help by then, otherwise try to find a local Z car guy that could help you out. All I can suggest is that you look through over it and see if you find any open ports,hoses,etc. Also Take some more pictures so we can see whats going on.