HybridZ

240z and 1974-1978 taillight question

so i was thinking IF i wanted to change up my 1978 tail light into the 240z model tail light.. would it fit just right or would you need to change alot of things to fit it in. i was thinking it would fit about right seeing that 280z and 240z are about the same shape and size. has anyone ever converted there 280z in to 240z tail lights? i really like the 240z style of the back lights better then the 280Z. (alot easy then buying a 240z and swapping a l28 engine in it ahah...=D)

post-3054-12697617269614_thumb.jpg

post-3054-12697617639226_thumb.jpg

Yup, early/late 260-280 panels are the same. (Hoover musta had a brain fart) Like the 240's, they are 2 piece. You should be able to get a 240 set up for your 280.

Different strokes for different folks - I like the 260-280's little better! :blink: IMHO, I would concentrate on converting the park benches on the 280's to 70-72 240's, 73 240 or early 260's bumpers. More bang (not as subtle as a tail light conversion) as far as looks are concerned! B)

ah ok thanks guys =D now does anyone have a picture to show of it? ;). i also would like to convert the signal light for the front into the 240z but it doesnt seem to be bad where it is for the 280z. converting the front bumper would be something i want to do later now though. How hard would that be? front and back bumpers. from 280z to the 240z bumper? i would think some welding will be part of it..

Front turn signal conversion is fairly simple. You need to get a 240z style airdam, the turn signals (duh), 240z grill, and you'll need to drill out the spot welds holding on the bracket for the 280z turn signals. I don't think the grill bolts in, and you'll need to find a solution to that before hand. I also don't know if the 240z turn signals just plug into the harness where the 280z turn signals did. That should be all there is to it.

240z bumper conversions have been covered here. Search for it.

You need to do search on it. It has been covered here , other forums, and the 'net - with pics also - many times. Someone here sells custom made front brackets for the bumper exchange. I am not real savvy on it because I have a 260Z and his dont fit. The rears MIGHT involve some welding on the bumpers.

The front valances are different for the 240/early 260's compared to the late 260/280's. The valance is 3 pieces like your 280Z. You can bolt them on and you can get the same years grill. You will of course have to do some wiring for the signal lights. Another item to be aware of is the radiator. It is larger on the 280Z. But, I believe it will fit extremely tight against the earlier valance. I have read somewhere that folks install the 280Z radiator into the earlier Z's and have run into this minor "problem". Its possible that the 280Z body mount for the radiator on your car wont have this minor issue.

Edit: I see some folks have already replied! IMHO, changing the parking lights to the earlier style is not a great idea because they were damaged by folks when parking! I think that they are also more prone to rust because of the openings/indentations for the lights. I was seiously considering going the other way and convert my valance and lights to the late 260/280's. But, I am leaning towards a 280 spoiler and using headlights with signal lights built into the light casing. Search is your friend.

Edited by oldhemi

Lol, I thought you wanted 260/280 lights on your 240.

That's what I was thinking too. I was wondering why everybody was telling you the other way. Reading the first post I thought it was 240z to 280z lights. I didn't know you could put 240z lights in a 280z with out an entire rear panel anyway.

You'll see ton of 74-78 taillight converted to 69-73 240z style in Japan.

They had to cut rear panels to fit 240z style combination lamp.

page only with Japanese, but this guy took some photo show how he did it.

http://wide-open.hp.infoseek.co.jp/s30z/9th.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwide-open.hp.infoseek.co.jp%2Fs30z%2F9th.html&sl=ja&tl=en

Thanks for the translation Modern S30. That was some entertaining reading lmao.gif

You call that reading? It was jumbled up engrish and who knows what else. I had trouble understanding, but more than I understood with just the pictures. Helps piece it together a bit more.