HybridZ

Help identifying what model RB25 you have (non NEO)

DeLorean

I am sorry if I am overlooking this info, I swear there was a thread that went over this, but I cannot find it at all. I have an RB25DET, not a NEO, and am curious how to identify what model it is and what car it came out of. I know there is a series 1 and 2, but also these motors came in R32s, R33s and the Stagea. What should I look for to determine what year my motor was made?

Thanks for any info on this matter...

I can tell you the difference between the series 1 and 2 motors but as far as what car it came from I don't know. I found the easiest way to tell the difference between the two is the ignitor chip on the back of the engine on the plug cover thingy. The series 2 has the ignitors built into the coil packs. I hope ths helped with something.

I pulled this from wikipedia.

RB25DE and DET engines produced from August 1993 also featured NVCS (Nissan Variable Cam System) for the intake cam. This gave the new RB25DE more power and torque at lower rpm than the previous model. From 1995, both the RB25DE and RB25DET had a revised electrical system and the turbo charger on the RB25DET had a plastic compressor wheel rather than ceramic. Generally these engines are referd to as Series 2 engines. The Most obvious change to the system was the introduction of ignition coils with built in ignitors, therefore the coil ignitor that was on previous models was not used. Other changes were, different air flow meter, engine ecu, cam angle sensor and throttle position sensor. Mechanicly series 1 and series 2 are exactly the same.

In May 1998 a NEO head was fitted, which enabled the engine to be classified as a low emission vehicle engine (LEV) due to their lower fuel consumption and emission output. The Neo head featured solid lifters rather than hydraulic, revised camshafts and a revised inlet manifold, in particular the RB25DE Neo which had 2 inlets going into the inlet manifold. The combustion chamber of the head is smaller, so GT-R-spec connecting rods are used to compensate. The turbo received the larger OP6 turbine.

The non-VCT, non-turbo RB25DE was fitted to the R32 Skyline, the VCT turbo and non-turbo was fitted to R33 Skylines and the WC34 Stagea. Early R34 Skylines use the non neo RB, later models use the Neo version.

R32 Skyline RB25DE Camshaft duration 240°in, 232°ex lift: 7.8mm in, 7.3mm ex R33 Skyline RB25DE Camshaft duration 240°in, 240°ex lift: 7.8mm in, 7.8mm ex

RB25DET Camshaft duration 240°in, 240°ex lift: 7.8mm in, 7.8mm ex

RB25DE Neo Camshaft duration 236°in, 232°ex lift: 8.4mm in, 6.9mm ex RB25DET Neo Camshaft duration 236°in, 232°ex lift: 8.4mm in, 8.7mm ex