HybridZ

T5 Grind on shift 2-3 and 3-4

LLave

Are you slamming gears? 2-3 is that long throw so your RPM's could drop really low if you are a slower shifter, so when you get into 3rd, it slams them the RPM's back up again. Or you shift real fast and the RPM's don't drop quick enough and it slams it down, especially since the gap between 2 and 3 on the T5 is substantial.

I grind from 1-2 if I'm trying to do it quickly like on a track. Grinds in reverse too, if you don't go into 5th first, and then reverse.

I'm curious too about what can be done.

After some research today I have pretty much concluded, if you are making a good amount of horsepower (400-450) there is pretty much no way around dropping some money on a beefy transmission. There may be a TKO in my near future...

You can only polish a turd so much. I have seen people at the track break as many TKO's and built t5's at the track as stock t5's. They can hold the power, but they can't stand ANY abuse,

Edited by hoov100

TKO may not be bomb proof but it is a lot better off than my poor T5. Plus I found a great deal on a coworkers used Ford TKO, so in the hybrid spirit I am adapting the Ford tanny to my SBC. I found that QuickTime makes a adapter housing for the for to SBC its part number RM-6064, the other option is to replace the input shaft with a chevy piece and drill out a bell for it. I figured while im down there I had best get a scatter shield. I will post some updates when I finally make a move and get a tranny together.

I was going to say if you have an L6 and you're going to invest the money into a tranny, maybe looking at a Kameari close ratio gear set... I think they are tough enough to withstand the L6 drag launches. Since you're V8, nevermind.