HybridZ

Valve spring seat pressure

2eighTZ4me

I'm trying to find what the "stock" seat pressure is vs. say a Schneider spring or a Comp Cams spring. FSM lists free and pressured length, and it even recommends checking spring pressure with a measuring device, but nowhere do I find what that pressure (range) is supposed to be. Searched this site for a while to no avail as well.

My Racer Brown cam got ate up on several lobes. Suspect too high spring pressure. Got the cam and valvetrain components off an EBay deal. The cam's only been in the car about 5k mi. but 5 of the lobes are worn really bad. I run Mobil 1 synthetic and ZDDP additive, so it's not that. Need to pull the springs in it and have them measured and need to know what a "competition" spring's values should be in the range of.

Wanting to buy some new springs that A) will support a high lift cam (> .550 lift), and won't bind, and B) that might have a little less pressure and still not float at 7000rpm. I'm thinking it's an oxymoron, less pressure and no float - but I'm just trying to collect data now to plan my next move.

Also - any recommendations about aftermarket springs would be great too. I'm having the Racer Brown repaired, and probably reground a bit differently. It only had .500 lift, but I'm fairly certiain, the port work done by Mr. Ruschman will support a larger cam - the Comp Cams unit that's in the car now just doesn't have the grunt that the Racer Brown unit did.

So - seat pressures..... anyone?

By seat pressure do you mean the spring rate? I have a book with the stock spring info but it's at school, I can get it to you tomorrow though. I've never heard of seat pressure though, maybe someone can enlighten me how you would even measure that.