HybridZ

Celica supra P-type to 280z fitment

Hey, I was looking for some experienced peoples opinion, im picking up a set of 14x7 8 offset celica supra P-type's and I wanted to confirm that they will fit on a 280z? I recall that they may need spacers to clear the suspension, but if anyone has any other red flags that I should know about please share.

P.S. they are on a ae86 so I know the hub bore and bolt pattern are correct, hell I even think the lug nuts are the right thread.

they fit but you need to open up the center hole on the wheels a little. or run spacers

and i dont think the ae86 lug nuts will work

you mean like the grease hub is gonna stick out? or the wheel literally wont fit over the front hubs?

Years ago, I ran a set of those wheels on my old 260Z. The center hole has to be opened up quite a bit, and the lug nuts are not compatable with the datsun wheel studs. I changed all of my lugs to the Toyota studs (the toyota studs have a 1.5 pitch while the Datsun studs have 1.25 pitch). All in all, it was a royal pain to fit those wheels on my old car. I only went through the hassle because the wheels were free, and because I was a poor college student.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

Years ago, I ran a set of those wheels on my old 260Z. The center hole has to be opened up quite a bit, and the lug nuts are not compatable with the datsun wheel studs. I changed all of my lugs to the Toyota studs (the toyota studs have a 1.5 pitch while the Datsun studs have 1.25 pitch). All in all, it was a royal pain to fit those wheels on my old car. I only went through the hassle because the wheels were free, and because I was a poor college student.

hmmm, opening up the center hole isn't an issue for me, the machine shops are a dime a dozen around here and wont charge much to open them up to the appropriate size, and new lug nuts arent to hard to come by lol. Im getting these for a steal so its worth it still.

to paulo: or I can run spacers and not have to bore out the center hole? what size spacer, like 7mm or larger?

Edited by Two80z4me

hmmm, opening up the center hole isn't an issue for me, the machine shops are a dime a dozen around here and wont charge much to open them up to the appropriate size, and new lug nuts arent to hard to come by lol. Im getting these for a steal so its worth it still.

to paulo: or I can run spacers and not have to bore out the center hole? what size spacer, like 7mm or larger?

i think the rear you can run a smaller spacer but the front has the huge honkin spindle/bearing.

i would just machine them out

have some picss of rears only tho

interference

DSCF2466.jpg

looks installed

DSCF2468.jpg

i think the rear you can run a smaller spacer but the front has the huge honkin spindle/bearing.

i would just machine them out

have some picss of rears only tho

snip*

oh, okay. pictures clear up alot.

to paulo:

how much did you have to machine on them?

Edited by Two80z4me

why not just buy new lug nuts to fit the wheels? they have tons of options now a days.

Don't mess with changing lugs, just buy another set of Datsun lugnuts. Inspect the rim, and determine the type needed. "acorn" "shank/collar style" etc. Keep the stock lugs/thread pitch.

My buddy with a supra mkII can simply put on my wheels, and use his lugnuts (we both use acorn style) no worries.

If I'm not mistaken lug nuts also have a specific angle to them that interfaces with the wheel. I think the matching angle is important to the strength and to keep the nuts tight. I'd make sure the lug nuts you use have a matching angle for the ones that came with the wheel.

If I'm not mistaken lug nuts also have a specific angle to them that interfaces with the wheel. I think the matching angle is important to the strength and to keep the nuts tight. I'd make sure the lug nuts you use have a matching angle for the ones that came with the wheel.

hey kent, nice to see you out and about in the z world!

and yeah, I have a replacement lug nut set that I use on my car from napa, and they work fine I inspected to see if they were angled but the stupid acorn LNs I have are not luckily. I got the wheels for dirt cheap so I dont mind spending $100 on machining the wheels, im just excited for race season to start finally.

On a side note, I picked up an extra set of tokico hp springs, but they are for a 240z, I cant remember if it was just the strut housing that was a different size on 240z's (2" for 240z, and 2.5" for 280z) I just need the spring perches to match, correct?

hey kent, nice to see you out and about in the z world!

and yeah, I have a replacement lug nut set that I use on my car from napa, and they work fine I inspected to see if they were angled but the stupid acorn LNs I have are not luckily. I got the wheels for dirt cheap so I dont mind spending $100 on machining the wheels, im just excited for race season to start finally.

On a side note, I picked up an extra set of tokico hp springs, but they are for a 240z, I cant remember if it was just the strut housing that was a different size on 240z's (2" for 240z, and 2.5" for 280z) I just need the spring perches to match, correct?

The springs are not exactly the same length, but they're close enough to work.

The springs are not exactly the same length, but they're close enough to work.

I got them on, and WOW! aside from the few lessons learned, they are alot stiffer, and were literally half the length of the stock springs, ill get pictures. car sits pretty now, now I just have to get my wheels on.

I had those Supra wheels on my '71 240Z for several years and I'm pretty sure the lugs from 280ZXs with factory mag wheels are lugs that fit. They have a thick washer, a straight shank and are the correct thread size.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

yeah, I went to les schwab and got some $1 a lug, lug nuts but they dont have a washer, so he said to return them if they dont work and he can slide some washers into place for no charge so they will fit, 3/4 and then 1.25 pitch was the size on the lugs.

wow, never trust a machinist.

we talked before, he said he could do it in under an hour, and low and behold, i show up to pick them up and they somehow took him 2 hours, and he wants $160. what a joke. Ive done a set on a drill press at my old shop in under 20 minutes, and it somehow took him two hours, I can understand holding them down with tires on could be a pain in the ass, but still, you could atleast call and confirm that it will take more than an hour to complete them, but apparently costco had a sale on machinist degrees last fall.